2002 thunderbird leak on the passenger side floor.

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Jocelyn
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Help! We can't find the leak. It seems to be on the passenger side floor, almost as if it is coming from underneath. Is this possible? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My mechanic and body shop guy have tested it and there are no apparent leaks from the roof (soft top). Next stop is Ford dealer. Please help.

Help! We can't find the leak. It seems to be on the passenger side floor, almost as if it is coming from underneath. Is this possible? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My mechanic and body shop guy have tested it and there are no apparent leaks from the roof (soft top). Next stop is Ford dealer. Please help.
Probably the seal on the windshield. It won't leak if you spray it with water but when you are driving the air pressure can force water through. It should be less than 100 bucks to have a glass professional redo the seal as long as you don't replace the window. Replacing the windshield is around 600 bucks. I would check to see if the windshield has been replaced before because it may have been done incorrectly. I would go to a auto glass shop and ask them about the leak. Good luck.

Did this leak just start?
When you run the ac do you get water under the car?
I had a Crown Vic once that the drain for the ac evaporator was plugged and water drained into the passenger side foot-well.
Good luck!

Could be from the a/c if your drain tube is blocked.
Check to see if there is water dripping from underneath after you have had the a/c running.
If moisture is causing any musty/mould type smells an ozone generator is an excellent solution.
Hope this helps.
Doug

I had a similar problem with my 03, the source was a blocked drain in the ventilation system. I was able to vacuum leaves out of the drain well below the cabin filter.

The ac drain is on the right side center above the bell housing then runs down to the right floor board.

The ac drain is on the right side center above the bell housing then runs down to the right floor board.
The drain I found to be the problem was the drain for rain water off the windshield and roof that entered the ventilation system through the air inlets for that system.

Yup. Happened to me.
Water hits the windshield and drains down into that plastic fascia. The drain is on the driver's side and the hole and tube get clogged. Water overflows into the cabin. It's a bit involved but the wiper arms come off and you remove a number of clips to get the plastic piece out. Then you have access to the drain hole. I'm sure you can find detailed instructions on the forum somewhere.

Did this leak just start?
When you run the ac do you get water under the car?
I had a Crown Vic once that the drain for the ac evaporator was plugged and water drained into the passenger side foot-well.
Good luck!
I agree Hemiguy, I had that problem with two vehicles. On one the drain tube was plugged, on the other the drain tube became disconnected.

Help Please,

We just discovered that when the car is parked the passenger footwell is leaking quite a bit. The water is isolated to that area only. The hardtop is not on at this point.

Thank you,
Paul

Yup. Happened to me.
Water hits the windshield and drains down into that plastic fascia. The drain is on the driver's side and the hole and tube get clogged. Water overflows into the cabin. It's a bit involved but the wiper arms come off and you remove a number of clips to get the plastic piece out. Then you have access to the drain hole. I'm sure you can find detailed instructions on the forum somewhere.
Anywhere know where I can find these detailed instructions?

Probably the seal on the windshield. It won't leak if you spray it with water but when you are driving the air pressure can force water through. It should be less than 100 bucks to have a glass professional redo the seal as long as you don't replace the window. Replacing the windshield is around 600 bucks. I would check to see if the windshield has been replaced before because it may have been done incorrectly. I would go to a auto glass shop and ask them about the leak. Good luck.
Mine is from the window roof seal on the driver's side with the hard top on. I still have it because I can't get a replacement anywhere here (and I've tried countless places) so I sealed it with clear silicone which helped a lot. Because it's parked outside...and always has been; I keep a towel on the seat and put plastic on that side when storms are forecast (Florida)
When I first got my 2002, I had a leak that took forever to find from the rear window seal.
Convertible top repair shops are probably your best help and window repair/replacement as well.
I also suggest putting Damprid, or similar product, in the car to absorb the moisture. It really works well. I always have it in there as it's been parked outside in Florida weather for 20+ years. I also put heavy windshield sun shields on. My interior and seats are in excellent condition because of it and proper maintenance.

Back