2002 Thunderbird Blue New Owner

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My wife has been looking for Thunderbird blue for awhile. It is a 2002 and has 121,000 miles on it and has always been in Georgia & garage kept. It has some issues A/C, Clock Spring & a Parasitic Drain on the battery I need to repair. First up was new tires I spent a week cleaning the wheels. Removing 18 years of brake dust polishing then 4 coats of ceramic sealer on all surfaces. I installed Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack 245/50/17 tires on it yesterday. The parasitic battery drain varies between 1.2 to 3.5 amps. I have my own shop with a lift & will be going over the car it in the next few weeks in my spare time.

T-Bird 006.JPGT-Bird 009.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I updated your subject to include the model year. Please include on your future posts.

Welcome to the forum. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm on the same boat as you. I need to fix driver side door lock and bring it up to date on some of the maintenance items. I did have to clean my wheels as well and was surprised of how well they came out.

That's a pretty significant parasitic drain, make sure your glove box and trunk lights aren't staying on.

Put your smartphone on video record and stick it in both compartments one at a time and open and close the covers several times then take the phone out and watch the video. The light should go out when either compartment is closed up.

Might not hurt to run an OBDC scan on it either just to see what codes might pop up..

A beauty to love.

As to parasitic drain, when we got ours it soon started to drain battery. Turned out to be REM (rear electrical module) located under convert top area. Fortunately it was replaced under our 30 day Ford Dealer warranty as it is an rather expensive replacement

There are of course some other possibilities .. and others with a lot more tech savvy will likely offer other ideas

You'll love it - folks can say what they want these retro birds are one of the most distinctive cars on the road....
They steal the show at stoplights in a crowd of SUVs, pickups and econoboxes...
DITTO in spades. They are special and distinctive. Our pretty girl gets looks and very nice comments wherever she goes

Last edited:
When I first got mine it had a drain of some sort as the battery ran down a couple of times. Never did find the cause but the issue went away when I took the hardtop off. When I park it during winter I make sure to not have the burglar alarm on...

Hi had similar problem if light bulbs are missing the computer thinks they are on and the battery drains - strange but true cheers

Nice ride! Congrats! and....Your wife looks very happy! (What is that building behind?)

Back