2002 Tbird new owner

ronwc
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Been looking for a while for a deal on a Thunderbird, and found the "almost" perfect one today, 2002, 121k miles, got it cheap (under $5k). I will try to post pictures later. The car looks, runs and drives great - very smooth/quiet and more power than I expected. Red with red/black interior. I'm 6'2' and had the hardtop on for the drive home (about 30 miles), my head was touching the top, does the seat go down anymore or is this normal. I am probably going to take off hardtop and just use the soft top anyway.

I am going to have to fix a few things and hoping you guys can help me out. I haven't had time yet to search google and here. I'm sure most of my problems are relatively common. Here is my list so far if anyone can steer me straight or offer any help/advice. I am pretty good at working on cars myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

The center windshield chrome trim is bubbled up and also missing the right side black trim.

The power mirrors are not working at all - hopefully an easy fix, but would it hurt to try and move them manually.

The CD's are stuck in but already read up on that and will probably buy a new aftermarket unit.

The door locks are clicking like they want to work but seemed jammed up.

Power steering seems a little heavy.

AC not working. The guy I got it from said he had it charged and worked great for about a week, so I guess there is a leak.

MODERATOR NOTE: Windshield Chrome for sale on Ebay here:

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Here is a good thread about replacing the factory radio https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-thunderbird-works-with-all-the-systems.5199/

Extra set of Coils are good to have on hand- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...005-ford-thunderbird-ignition-coils-cop.5040/

Stiff power steering is likely the FEM- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/help-needed-front-electronic-module.5560/

You need to take the car somewhere with experience that can trace the A/C leaks with a light. I have a Mustang that just needed a return line.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like the coils are a constant problem with these cars - right now mine is running strong. Kind of got a few things figured out already. Realized that most of my problems are all switch/electric related. Power mirrors, door locks and found out brake light are intermittent. Already ordered new mirror and brake light switches, no big deal there. Probably going to replace radio soon. Got to get the AC going, summer in FL can get a little hot.

I'm the same height as you. It does get a little tough positioning myself in the Tbird. I tend to have to move the seat up more than normal, and angle the backrest more. The hardtop actually gives you more room I feel. I definitely couldn't own this vehicle as a full time daily driver, but as a fun car, it's doable. Makes me ride more with the top down!

I'm not complaining, I've wanted a Tbird for a while and it is a beautiful car, but they could have thought out the headroom a little better. And I though my C5 Corvette is tight.

I guess somehow they figured no one over 5'10" would buy the car. I did buy it for a beach car (I live in Clearwater area), and plan on mainly driving it with the top down. I may also take the drivers seat out and look at ways to lower it, even if it means taking out the power (adjustable) part of it and fixing it all the way back. We'll see.

Just got it registered today, so it is legal, but it's been raining a lot here. I am going to pick up two sections of the windshield (reveal) trim tomorrow. Already bought new mirror and brake switches. Also has a faint smoke smell in it, can't believe anyone would smoke in such a nice car. Here's a pic.

IMG_20180512_142623~2.jpg

I'm not complaining, I've wanted a Tbird for a while and it is a beautiful car, but they could have thought out the headroom a little better. And I though my C5 Corvette is tight.

I guess somehow they figured no one over 5'10" would buy the car. I did buy it for a beach car (I live in Clearwater area), and plan on mainly driving it with the top down. I may also take the drivers seat out and look at ways to lower it, even if it means taking out the power (adjustable) part of it and fixing it all the way back. We'll see.

Just got it registered today, so it is legal, but it's been raining a lot here. I am going to pick up two sections of the windshield (reveal) trim tomorrow. Already bought new mirror and brake switches. Also has a faint smoke smell in it, can't believe anyone would smoke in such a nice car. Here's a pic.

View attachment 1874
Pretty awesome you were able to get such a nice looking car for under $5K. You may have more "projects" ahead, but you're starting from a great place. Good luck with it!

Got the new windshield trim put on yesterday and looks really good. Had to buy two pieces new but found a local Ford dealer give me a little bit of a price break, $160 each, which was expensive but had to have them.

Going to get the brake light switch installed and charge AC back up today. Got the three pins out of the lower dash panel, but still having a had time getting the panel off. it is on tight. Not sure if to pull it down or forward, anyone know for sure. Don't want to break it.

Looking at radios, probably some with CD, DVD and nav. I've installed a lot of head units, so should be a problem there.

Got the brake switch in and works great, brake lights come on and shifter perfect. Now on to charging the AC. Everything is coming together great, going to take it on it's first fun run today. Although it looks good, will get the hardtop off later this week and it may never go back on. Will start look at radio's tonight, want double din NAV and CD.

Realized that you have to in thru wheel well to charge AC, not the best/easiest location, so that will have to wait till tomorrow. Time for lunch and a nap.

There are a couple of "youtube" videos on how to pop out the radio on a 2002-205 Tbird.

Yeah the AC low pressure port is a butch to get to, hope yours just needs a recharge. My AC wasn't blowing cold so I was hoping for a quick recharge. Put the gauges on and not so lucky - all the pressures were low which tells me the compressor is shot. Nothing easy on this car.

I just leave the top down all the time so it is easier to get in and out of and you got a couple of inches on me. Good luck.

How funny, I'm in St. Pete. Maybe I'll see you around! I'd love to get some of the local Tbird's together and go over to the Dupont Cars and Coffee 3rd Saturday of each month.

Finally got the hardtop off and took a quick spin down Clearwater Bch. Very nice and smooth, I may never put the top up. Got a lot of compliments, most people didn't know what kind of car it was and had never seen one.

Going to try to charge the AC tomorrow, or may get lazy and let someone else do it. Also ordered a new Pioneer radio with everything I wanted, including mount and wire harness, free shipping - $109 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/273162385081
S.gif

Car is running and looks great, the main thing left to do is get the AC working for the long hot FL summer, it was 88 today. I am going to charge it myself, before taking it in and probably having to have it rebuilt. But I realized that the passenger vent was blowing hot, which I know is a heater control valve problem. So I ordered a new HCV online for about $50 and will get that put on as soon as it comes in then do the charge.

I realize now why I got the car so cheap ($4100), the person that owned it had let a lot of little things go wrong over the years without any repairs, and it got to a point where it became a big problem. I have already fixed the brake light switch which also solved the shifter problem, fixed the power mirror switch with a simple 5 minute cleaning, quick detailing alone made a huge difference in appearance, putting in a nice Pioneer head unit will take care of the stuck CD's and I'm sure give me much better sound (I'm also going to check the speakers). The two pieces of chrome windshield trim was a little pricey at $320, but it is done and turn out fine. Really the main thing left is the AC, which to me is mandatory.

I don't think the previous owner ever took off the hardtop, because when I did and put the soft top up it looked almost new. I found that the soft top gives me just a little more headroom which is good, or it may just be that it is more flexible.

putting in a nice Pioneer head unit will take care of the stuck CD's and I'm sure give me much better sound (I'm also going to check the speakers). .
Hey ronwc, let me know if you are going to sell your old radio. I wouldn't mind having a spare to work on and see if I can fix it. There are a few YouTube videos showing how to tear it down.

Put in the new Pioneer, picture does not do it justice - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-FH-S500BT-Double-Din-Car-CD-Stereo-Radio-Install-Kit-Bluetooth/273162385081?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Really a good deal for the money, I've always had good luck with Pioneer, have put them in probably 10 cars over the years and never had one fail. This one has the hands free phone which I like, and gives a lot more options than the stock unit. Very clean sounding, especially with the CD's. I was going to buy one of their larger touch screens, but they are very hard to see with the top down, and I live in west central Fl, Clearwater area, so the top will be down most of the time.

Next going to put in a new heater control valve, then charge up AC.

IMG_0128.JPG

Finally realized after two weeks of thinking about it, that I was too lazy to change out heater control valve and charge AC. Took it to a mechanic friend of mine today and he did all the work, charged me $200 for all. AC is now ice cold, and it's well over 90 down here in FL everyday, so have to have good AC.

While he had it up on the lift to charge AC, he check some other things over and noticed there is quite a bit of play in the front wheels, so may need to do some front end work soon, but for now driving and running very good.

Next up on my list is to have side windows tinted, touch up a little paint and give it a good wax job. I also may end up changing out rear speakers, after putting in the new Pioneer head unit, realized how bad they are.

Back