2002 T-Bird quit running.

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello Need some advice, wife's 2002 Thunderbird just shut down and won't start. Drove it few times yesterday couple 5 mile trips, went to church 5 miles away car ran normal, but when leaving church car won't hardly start, finally does start running rough goes 1/4 mile down the road and shuts off and won't restart. Just cranks over and doesn't seem to even try to start. Thanks in advance.

How old is the battery? Could be starter issues also. Get the battery checked first and if that isn't the issue get your bird to the nearest Ford service center.

Battery few years old will check it today. Car spins over very fast so don't think battery.

Have you checked under the hood while cranking to see if there is anything odd sounding or looking? Good luck with it and post what it was when you do find out. As these cars get older it is tough to find a dealer who knows much about them so this forum is helpful.

My 2002 was blowing fuel pump fuses causing failure to start. Had to replace the fuel pump — a costly repair because the pump is in the fuel tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok update, the 15 amp fuse #17 was blown in trunk which says fuel pump, charged battery put new fuse in runs like a top. Is the blown fuse a sign of fuel pump getting ready to fail. ? If so should I replace both fuel pumps. ? Thanks again this Forum is fantastic, do appreciate all the quick help.
You can read about the fuel pump here. If the fuse blows again, you likely need to replace the main pump. https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-t-bird-fuel-pump-replacement.5906/

There are no moving parts in the secondary pump. One theory holds that the fuel level should be kept over 1/4 as the fuel acts as coolant for the pump. I don’t know if it really matters but it can’t hurt.

I would put on your list to replace fuel pump soon. Mine did what yours did about 18 months ago. Replaced
fuel pump, no issues since. I installed aftermarket fuel pump for $81.00 plus I changed fuel pump myself,
was not hard to do, but tight working space.

I would put on your list to replace fuel pump soon. Mine did what yours did about 18 months ago. Replaced
fuel pump, no issues since. I installed aftermarket fuel pump for $81.00 plus I changed fuel pump myself,
Agreed. Read up on the thread @biddle posted, check for a youtube video or two, get your parts together (including the wrench!) and do the job on your schedule - don't hope and wait until it leaves you stranded somewhere. It's not a matter of "if" just "when". (I followed my own advice when I redid my COPS and plugs earlier this spring - good plan and good weather.)
Good luck!
(ps: I have seen numerous other posts suggesting never going below 1/4 tank - sounds like simple easy advice to me.)

Thanks for all the great knowledge, ordering parts next few days. After new fuse have been driving around town but hesitant to leave town. Thanks again Jon

Do you remember where you got the pump from, thanks Jon

Back