2002 T Bird fuel pump replacement.

edward301
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My fuel pump looks like it is shot. Started car one day, ran for 10 seconds, then died. Fuse for fuel
pump blew. Replaced fuse but no pump. Checked fuel pressure fitting under hood, and no pressure.

Have opened up area behind seat to expose fuel pump area. Anyone have any hints on how to remove
ring that secures fuel pump.

MODERATOR NOTE: You can purchase the main passenger side replacement fuel pump entire assembly here-
2002 model- Purchase link 4W4Z9H307AA -
Click here for eBAY or Amazon- https://amzn.to/2R8yWQK

2003-05 models- Purchase link 3W4Z9H307AC- https://amzn.to/2DzaoN6

Optionally you can also replace the 2002-2005 drivers side pump https://amzn.to/2PHnbhT

You will also need to replace your fuel filter https://amzn.to/2GMQhsg

Fuel Pump removal tool also very helpful! https://amzn.to/2J7w5UO

fuel-pump-ford-thunderbird.jpg

Replacement Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some additional information, I am original owner, car has 11957 miles, I did check electric plug
on fuel pump, and am getting voltage, so pretty sure pump is bad.

The plastic ring securing pump looks pretty flimsy, so do not want to break it, hopefully some one
has removed pump before and has some handy hints.

First, the answer to your question. You can rent the tool from many auto parts stores. I have also seen some YouTube videos where people use a a 1/2 wide dull chisel and a hammer to lightly tap along the ridges to get the ring to rotate, others have used a strap wrench like you would use for oil filters. BUT before you attempt this, I recently purchased the Ford Workshop manuals and the procedure is to 1. first drain the tank, then you are to loosen the gas tank straps 1 inch, this will bring the pumps more inline with the openings in the sheet metal so that you have more room to deal with the hoses, etc. If you need me to, I can take pics of the pages for you to complete this repair.

Just did this exact same job for my 2001 Passat. Pain. Didn't have to move the tank, but I was surprised that the "fuel pump" consists of a 2-piece plastic contraption.......which has been immersed in gasoline for years. So all parts are hard and brittle. Hoping when it comes time to do this on the TBird that it is easier. Still.........probably saved myself a grand.

My fuel pump looks like it is shot. Started car one day, ran for 10 seconds, then died. Fuse for fuel
pump blew. Replaced fuse but no pump. Checked fuel pressure fitting under hood, and no pressure.

Have opened up area behind seat to expose fuel pump area. Anyone have any hints on how to remove
ring that secures fuel pump.

Replace both pumps be careful with gaskets.

While the manual says pinch the tabs and pull straight up on the lines, this may or may not work. Even with wire wrapped around the fittings I could not get the fuel pump pipes to extract from the pump housing. Even on the bench,
(after I cut the lines, they were kinked anyway), I pulled with large pliers and they would not come out. I guess they were heated on by age and heat. So I have to buy lines and module to repair. Ben

Hi there. I just replaced mine. Matco t makes a really nice tool. You will need a long extension so you have leverage. Tricky part is the gasket. Also you have to reach into the gas tank and un clip the fuel pump. The ring is hard to get started and you fight with the gasket. Took me 5 times to hold that gasket in place apply pressure to get the ring back on. And don’t let the fuel pump spin. :(. But I got it. You can buy the tool online.
41ObxMrt0qL._AC_.jpg

Hi there. I just replaced mine. Matco t makes a really nice tool. You will need a long extension so you have leverage. Tricky part is the gasket. Also you have to reach into the gas tank and un clip the fuel pump. The ring is hard to get started and you fight with the gasket. Took me 5 times to hold that gasket in place apply pressure to get the ring back on. And don’t let the fuel pump spin. :(. But I got it. You can buy the tool online

Lulu, did you go from the bottom to replace the fuel pump like Ford manual says or did you come in from the top like the above video? What is the "official" name of the tool?

Thanks

I think many retro bird owners suffer from "fuel pump anxiety " and I too had an experience with my '05 that caused one of those "Oh No" moments. Car would start and then almost immediately stop. Emotionally prepared for the cost of a dreaded fuel pump replacement, my dealer then determined the problem to be the fuel rail pressure sensor. Way less expensive! Though relieved at the time, I think I'm still going to go ahead and replace my fuel pump just to take care of all of that anxiety. Just wanted to share my story.

I think many retro bird owners suffer from "fuel pump anxiety " and I too had an experience with my '05 that caused one of those "Oh No" moments. Car would start and then almost immediately stop. Emotionally prepared for the cost of a dreaded fuel pump replacement, my dealer then determined the problem to be the fuel rail pressure sensor. Way less expensive! Though relieved at the time, I think I'm still going to go ahead and replace my fuel pump just to take care of all of that anxiety. Just wanted to share my story.
Too many owners fo not drive their cars enough. The fuel pump fail because of this. I read too often how people let their cars sit for 6 months and then wonder why their fuel pumps are bad.

I've heard that too. Also running on or close to empty and a dirty fuel filter. I have had this car for a little over four years and have enjoyed it a lot. But it seems like at least once a year I get a big expensive hit. Now I worry about the fuel pump leaving me stranded.

I've heard that too. Also running on or close to empty and a dirty fuel filter. I have had this car for a little over four years and have enjoyed it a lot. But it seems like at least once a year I get a big expensive hit. Now I worry about the fuel pump leaving me stranded.

" But it seems like at least once a year I get a big expensive hit. Now I worry about the fuel pump leaving me stranded."

Me too. I've had my Bird for 5 or 6 years. Every year I've had to stick a MIN. of $1500 in to it, and yeah I've become paranoid about the fuel pump going out. I originally purchased my Bird with the thought it would be my road car for weekend trips and maybe a winter run to FL. After a few years of ownership I decided I'm not going to drive this vehicle more than 10 miles ($100 tow charge) from home. I drive it to the sports bar to have a draft and some wings and to the golf course and that is it anymore. Common sense would/is saying get rid of it, you got a lemon, but that trip home in the fall from the golf course when it is 55 - 60, top down, heated seats on, well...…….. I'll keep it - one more time till something else breaks.

While the manual says pinch the tabs and pull straight up on the lines, this may or may not work. Even with wire wrapped around the fittings I could not get the fuel pump pipes to extract from the pump housing. Even on the bench,
(after I cut the lines, they were kinked anyway), I pulled with large pliers and they would not come out. I guess they were heated on by age and heat. Sooo I have to buy lines and module to repair. Ben
With stuck tubes try rotating gently to break the bond, the pull. Cheers

Hopefully someone can answer this - on the left side (drivers side) I have the unit out of the car - my question is where is the pump and how do you change it. I have a new fuel pump but what I have in hand I don't see on the original.

Replacing the fuel pump is not big a deal. You should not, never attempt to replace the fuel pump from the underside of the car. The tank is a saddle tank, meaning half is on each side of the drive shaft. To remove would require the removal of the drive train & exhaust system then dropping the tank. BUT dropping the tank would require disconnecting both the electrical & the fuel lines which all come into the tank from the top.

Servicing the fuel pumps is done from the top of the tank which is accessed from inside the cabin by 1st removing the HT and pulling from their clips the rear plastic trim pieces, rolling back the carpet and there you will see the hoses & wiring and the access plates to remove.

Actually very easy compared to trying to go from the underside.

Back