2002 T-bird driving in winter?

V
Last seen
Hey all! Long story short i started working at a car dealership 8 months ago and completely fell in love with this 2002 Thunderbird we have on our lot. When we'd do snow removal i'd grab the keys for it just to sit inside for a couple of minutes. It's in super good condition and about 40k miles on it, been on our lot for a year now which is incredibly long. Everyone is telling me not to get it because it is awful in snow and being in the upper midwest this is a pretty reasonable complaint. Is it really that bad in snow? Any way to make it good in the snow? Would this be a HORRIBLE financial decision to buy this?

Keep in mind i'm 22 years old! Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey all! Long story short i started working at a car dealership 8 months ago and completely fell in love with this 2002 Thunderbird we have on our lot. When we'd do snow removal i'd grab the keys for it just to sit inside for a couple of minutes. It's in super good condition and about 40k miles on it, been on our lot for a year now which is incredibly long. Everyone is telling me not to get it because it is awful in snow and being in the upper midwest this is a pretty reasonable complaint. Is it really that bad in snow? Any way to make it good in the snow? Would this be a HORRIBLE financial decision to buy this?

How to word this politely? This is the wrong place to come if you want somebody to talk you out of buying a Retro Bird. That said, this is not the best vehicle for year round driving in snowy climates. Mine gets parked for the winter, but I have that luxury. If this is your primary means of transportation you're going to have a lot of issues.

Hey all! Long story short i started working at a car dealership 8 months ago

I definitely wouldn't recommend this car at your age. Do you own a home yet? If not, I would focus on that, and drive a cheap car that is cheap to insure until you turn 25. Car should also readily have parts available. Buying a 16+ year old car that costs over 12 grand isn't a good idea IMHO.

I started this forum in 2001 when I was 29 shortly after I got out of the car business. Wasted a lot of money on cars in my 20s that I regret. Hope my insight helps you with your decision.

I agree with the others. Plus, you won’t want to take it out on a snowy, sleeting, otherwise crappy day. Mine stays in the garage on a rainy day unless I can’t avoid it or am away from home with it. Keep the faith as there will be a lot of nice ones out there for a long time IMO. Good luck with your decision.

Hi.
For what it's worth I was in your place many years ago. I bought a1964 Corvette convertible because I thought they were really cool which they are!
But I did not use it as my primary vehicle for transportation, I was lucky, i lived at home and I drove a Datsun B210 and other crappy cars. I only used the Corvette on weekends and special occasions.
I guess the moral of this story is if you can afford two cars, then by all means buy it, but remember, these cars are a lot more tricky to repair than old cats.
You really need to be able to work on your own car, which is not really hard, if you put in the effort.
Good luck,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO all that said above, But i know a lot of Mustangs that are rear wheel drive and actually makes it through Syracuse NY winters.. I also see Camaro's following snow plows also.. I actually saw a black retro T-Bird driven by a guy year round 10 years ago.. Yes it was his 4 season daily driver.. With any rear wheel drive only, you will have to invest in snow tires at least for the back.. Yes only two rear tires is old school.. I had a 86 T-Bird and a number of other rear wheel drive cars that I just had snows on the rears and good all seasons on the front and got along just fine. I would do the swap every spring and fall. I often would buy a pair of steel wheel for the snows and swap out the wheels and snows... This would also protect the chrome rims from salt and rust.. Of course 4 winter snows all the way around would be better..

I personal would hate to see your car rot away in 7-10 years.. Salt does a number on any car.. But that's your choice.. If the one your considering has a white hard top, let me know I would love to buy the top for my red '02 in 5-7 years..

I have seen a lot of young people your age driving the Camaro and Mustangs in the winter.. Heck I work at a university where I see my fill of Maserati's, Porsche's and even Vettes, Mustangs, and Mopar muscles driving around our campus in the winter.. There isn't that much power in the T-birds that would make it tough to drive in the winter snow.. The rear wheel drive cars just need the added traction of the snow tires in back and 4 snows gives braking and steering an added benefit. If the back end feels a bit squirrelly, just add a 150lbs pounds of sandbags in the trunk.. That's often done up here to our 2 wheel drive pick-up trucks during the winter months to help traction

I bought T-Bird 2 years ago and it's a garage queen.. Never sees winter and for that matter hardly ever sees rain.. But that's our summer fun car.. I have a beat 2009 Ford Focus and my wife has a 4 wheel drive 4 year old Nissan Frontier for our daily drivers.. My Focus is 10 years old with only 86K on the clock. I have two huge rot holes on both rocker panels, I'm sure in another 2 years, it will be in the junk yard.. Along with the body, all the brake lines and frame etc. rot away..

So, just promise me if you decide to drive it year round in the winter don't put studded snows tires on it.. That would be such a bummer to hear that melodic click-clack metal on road hum as you drive by.. :-(

Last edited:

Wow what the H is going on here? I started a poll on the other site on age of owners. Most in their sixties but the majority in their seventies. Sure let’s discourage this young guy so some 75 year old widow has another car to get rid of . Of course buy this car.

Drove my car the first two years of ownership in winter and had maybe 3 days in the garage due to extremely heavy snow. GO FOR IT.

BTW If it's been sitting on the car lot for a year you should get a good deal on it.. This is the time of year where these cars get hot for buyers.. Spring, warm weather, sun, convertible what more can you say.. The Retro T-birds are a looker.. I often get comments on ours.

BTW If it's been sitting on the car lot for a year you should get a good deal on it.. This is the time of year where these cars get hot for buyers.. Spring, warm weather, sun, convertible what more can you say.. The Retro T-birds are a looker.. I often get comments on ours.
Thank you all for the advice wow! And yes it's been sitting for a year, they had it at 17k and it's at $15k now, i'm sure i could get it a little lower because i work there but it's still pricy for my age and how old it is. I love the car a lot, i would feel bad driving it in winter and watching it decay. It definitely deserves someone who can store it in winter and keep it pristine. However, i work in detailing so i'm sure i could bring it in and give it really good care it needs. Lots of mixed advice here that i have to consider!

Wow what the H is going on here? I started a poll on the other site on age of owners. Most in their sixties but the majority in their seventies. Sure let’s discourage this young guy so some 75 year old widow has another car to get rid of . Of course buy this car.

Drove my car the first two years of ownership in winter and had maybe 3 days in the garage due to extremely heavy snow. GO FOR IT.
The car was actually an old widow's car. She traded it in when she got a new one! Probably why it has pretty low miles considering the age.

I have had two Thunderbird cars both 2005 and both were good in snow (not North easters)
But able to handle up to six inches with 4 good all seasons tires. With no problem.

BUT REMEMBER I AM 76 MY DAYS OF FLOORING IT AT LIGHTS ARE LONG GONE.

I TREAT THE SNOW WITH CARE AND IT WILL GO (STOPPING NOT SO MUCH). I live on a hill and it has never failed me yet.

As with all cars drive with care and the life you save might be mine.

Have fun the car is a great magnet for most girls winter top or summer topless.

I am in Texas so we only see snow once every 7 to 10 years. I was 47 when I bought my current white 02
T Bird. Fun car, drives in rain, etc just fine. I imagine with good snow tires you should do fine.

My T Bird is the only Ford product I own, and it has been a good.

If you want it get it. It is that simple. It is easier to work on than cars made today.

IMHO all that said above, But i know a lot of Mustangs that are rear wheel drive and actually makes it through Syracuse NY winters.. I also see Camaro's following snow plows also.. I actually saw a black retro T-Bird driven by a guy year round 10 years ago.. Yes it was his 4 season daily driver.. With any rear wheel drive only, you will have to invest in snow tires at least for the back.. Yes only two rear tires is old school.. I had a 86 T-Bird and a number of other rear wheel drive cars that I just had snows on the rears and good all seasons on the front and got along just fine. I would do the swap every spring and fall. I often would buy a pair of steel wheel for the snows and swap out the wheels and snows... This would also protect the chrome rims from salt and rust.. Of course 4 winter snows all the way around would be better..

I personal would hate to see your car rot away in 7-10 years.. Salt does a number on any car.. But that's your choice.. If the one your considering has a white hard top, let me know I would love to buy the top for my red '02 in 5-7 years..

I have seen a lot of young people your age driving the Camaro and Mustangs in the winter.. Heck I work at a university where I see my fill of Maserati's, Porsche's and even Vettes, Mustangs, and Mopar muscles driving around our campus in the winter.. There isn't that much power in the T-birds that would make it tough to drive in the winter snow.. The rear wheel drive cars just need the added traction of the snow tires in back and 4 snows gives braking and steering an added benefit. If the back end feels a bit squirrelly, just add a 150lbs pounds of sandbags in the trunk.. That's often done up here to our 2 wheel drive pick-up trucks during the winter months to help traction

I bought T-Bird 2 years ago and it's a garage queen.. Never sees winter and for that matter hardly ever sees rain.. But that's our summer fun car.. I have a beat 2009 Ford Focus and my wife has a 4 wheel drive 4 year old Nissan Frontier for our daily drivers.. My Focus is 10 years old with only 86K on the clock. I have two huge rot holes on both rocker panels, I'm sure in another 2 years, it will be in the junk yard.. Along with the body, all the brake lines and frame etc. rot away..

So, just promise me if you decide to drive it year round in the winter don't put studded snows tires on it.. That would be such a bummer to hear that melodic click-clack metal on road hum as you drive by.. :-(
The one i'm considering is all red with red top. Black and red interior. The interior is actually what made me love it! The red and black looks amazing. Of course the exterior is great too. I'm surprised how good it looks after sitting outside the entire winter.

Mine is an all black interior.. That's why if I ever came across a white or black hardtop near me (200 miles or so) I would love to get one. I think the two tone colors looks great.. Here is mine just a 6 weeks ago sitting in our driveway getting some fresh air & just warming up for 20-30 minutes.. Good luck.. BTW are you working at a Ford or Lincoln Dealership.. Get to know those mechanics they will be a great source of knowledge and help..

20190217_114324.jpg

Our host, Mike Biddle, is offering this young man excellent advice. It has nothing to do with the drivability of our cars of course. Like others, I find the automatic features compensate well when a thunderstorm rolls through. Mine is a daily driver here in Texas which means in all weather except ice storms when I get to visit the home office and work from there. I avoid driving on ice only since I never know what other drivers are going to do.

most vehicles with the right equipment and driving skill can do Ok in snow to a point of course, but using this car as a daily driver in the upper midwest will destroy it in 10 years(salt is your enemy ) I would say buy it because they are fun unique cars, but also find a way to buy another cheaper to buy and repair daily driver. if you can't afford to do that plan for it it the future

most vehicles with the right equipment and driving skill can do Ok in snow to a point of course, but using this car as a daily driver in the upper midwest will destroy it in 10 years(salt is your enemy ) I would say buy it because they are fun unique cars, but also find a way to buy another cheaper to buy and repair daily driver. if you can't afford to do that plan for it it the future

Up in the north east even back in the day, and even now, if we bought a nice car we loved, to hold on to, we would also buy a "Winter Rat" and depending on how deep your pockets were dictated what your winter rat looked like and how new or old it was.. I have seen 10+ year old winter rats that were bought just to get you through one or two years of everyday winter driving.. Only problem is they get to be undependable.. But you buy the winter rat $1200 or less.. Usually the good car came off the road till mid to late April. Some would pull the plates and the insurance till spring..

I have to agree that the issue is not drivability. At your age, I was driving a 1977 Mustang II hatchback all over Chicagoland and later New England in all kinds of weather. All the weight was in the front and not over the drive wheels. It got interesting on occasion. Driving a rear-wheel drive car in the snow is a skill that can be learned and the weight distribution and stability control on the retro will help.

Mike Biddle is right, though. This car will need more than routine maintenance sooner or later. A less beautiful but more reliable and cost-effective ride is probably a better choice, as much as it pains me to say so. It is also true that driving the car in the salt and sand necessary in areas where there is much snow will unavoidably have negative effects on it.

Having said all that, you have to make your own choices. Between the Mustang and the T-bird, I drove mind-numbingly dull and practical cars for 30 years. It was what I needed to do it at the time. I'm really glad I don't have to anymore. If you're a car person and this is your car, you may just need a plan to make it work.

Good luck to you either way!

I live in Detroit and my car is a daily driver, all year long. All other (good) advice aside, the car does very well in normal to moderate snow 1 to 6 inches. Higher than that, it's generally an issue of ground clearance and/or incline more than anything else. The car is very heavy, and balance is something like 51%-49% owing to lightweight front fenders, and the weight of the convertible and battery in the rear. If you've ever seen a Mustang, Charger, Challenger etc get through fine in your area, then you should be ok.

Back