2002 T-bird car revving issue while in Park

• Thread starter tony and anita dell
  • Start date
T

tony and anita dell

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My wife owns a 2002 t-bird we been driving since 2005 we love the car, except occasionally when we have small issues. My wife has experienced the car after driving for an hour and bringing it back to our driveway when she puts it back in park the car revs up like she has pushed down on the peddle, it also does this sometimes when she first starts the car.
Any thoughts out their on what the problem might possible be??
regards tony

Moderator Update 2021- Possibly need this Air Idler- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...derbird-lincoln-ls-oem-hitachi-abv0037.11283/

Last edited by a moderator:
If they've been driving this car for the 15 years indicated I'm skeptical of the misplaced foot issue - but its possible. First and always run an OBDC diagnostic scan and check for error codes related to speed sensors, etc. The pimply-faced kid at Autozone may do it for free but won't have a clue what the codes mean so write them down and get back to us.

Sorry to through wrench at the munkey, but I have been known to, a couple of times, put my foot on both the break and gas peddle at the same time when pulling up to a stop. It seems the peddles, for some reason, are closer together than in most cars. It is a scary feeling when the harder you break the more the car wants to go! The first time it happened to me I thought for sure there was something were wrong with the car. I even spoke with other bird owners and an experienced Ford Mechanic about what had happened. They all basically said the same thing, It just means the person driving needs to drive it more to get use to it. Good luck my friend and welcome to T-Birding.
I suggest you have your Braking System checked as the pedal should not go that low. I had an issue that my dealer warned me about where there is a leak in the master cylinder booster that can cause that (It ultimately did happen and my aftermarket warranty covered most of it). The most likely problem is you may need new pads & rotors which is normal. What do you have for mileage? My 2005 is very close to 100,000 and I love driving it.

A couple of years ago my 02 had a weird idle & same at a red light . Simultaneously I thought my ac was not acting properly. No one could give me an answer till my "new" mechanic found 2 bad "coil/sparkplug pks were "leaking," he replaced and both problems gone.

The higher rev at start up is normal. It should settle down to 750 rpm in a short time.

007-the rev issue is when she has been driving the car for an hour she comes back home goes into park with the engine still running when she isn't even in the drivers seat. It rev really high and settles back down and then immediately does it again and again.
someone in an earlier comment mentioned that he thinks it could be the coils/spark plug pks, although we recently replaced all of the coils within the last 2 years.
I realize some cars such as Porsche are programmed to do what you already mentioned.
Do you have any other thoughts? thanks for your earlier comment Mr. Bond 007
regards....................tony & Anita

Back