2002 Smoke from under the hood

Retrobird Jay

Retrobird Jay

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have thin white smoke coming out from under the hood once I stop driving and while it’s idling. It smells like oil burning so I checked around both valve covers and notice some oil. So I’ve gone back and retightened all the bolts to torque specs. (I replaced the valve cover gaskets back in February. The smoke didn’t start until this past summer.) I took it for a test drive today and it drives great but once I got back home, the smoke returned. I’m at a loss and I’m losing my patience. Could the gaskets already have gone bad? Any thoughts and/or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Also, as a last result, does anyone know of a good Thunderbird mechanic in the Knoxville, TN area?

Also, as a last result, does anyone know of a good Thunderbird mechanic in the Knoxville, TN area?
I would avoid Ted Russell Ford for sure! It's possible something didn't go well with your replacement gasket. Throwing any codes yet? Hook up your OBDII Reader and check for pending codes etc.

I live in Oak Ridge/Anderson County and used Ray Varner Ford for help with a really strange fuse blowing issue with my 2002. They were very good in diagnosis and repair (excessive corrosion on the fuel inertia switch).

I do 90% of my own repairs and was super pleased with their help. I sent pizzas to the entire service department. Well worth it.

I would avoid Ted Russell Ford for sure! It's possible something didn't go well with your replacement gasket. Throwing any codes yet? Hook up your OBDII Reader and check for pending codes etc.
No codes are being thrown, oil level is good every time I check, and like I said, the car drives great! I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet and replace the valve cover gaskets again and see what happens.

I have thin white smoke coming out from under the hood once I stop driving and while it’s idling. It smells like oil burning so I checked around both valve covers and notice some oil. So I’ve gone back and retightened all the bolts to torque specs. (I replaced the valve cover gaskets back in February. The smoke didn’t start until this past summer.) I took it for a test drive today and it drives great but once I got back home, the smoke returned. I’m at a loss and I’m losing my patience. Could the gaskets already have gone bad? Any thoughts and/or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Also, as a last result, does anyone know of a good Thunderbird mechanic in the Knoxville, TN area?
Your smoke could very well be coming from your power steering pump valve, part can be purchased for under $20 at autozone, or dealer. It’s a bear to get to, left side by driver side front tire area in about a foot. I think there was a write up somewhere about replacing it. I did mine myself, have to have smaller hands to get to.

Someone just recommended the Fel-Pro but did not give a product link or part number, but I found it.

I've updated our site to link to this product, I agree, that is a good brand, used it on our 2004 Jeep Wrangler.

Any update on this ?
My 2002 with 31,000 miles has blue smoke coming out the rear ocasionally on start up and after a long
interstate run the other day oily fumes were exiting the hood on the passenger side. No codes thrown and
no oil being used - or at least not enough to notice. Maybe a gasket leadking onto a header ?

Any update on this ?
My 2002 with 31,000 miles has blue smoke coming out the rear ocasionally on start up and after a long
interstate run the other day oily fumes were exiting the hood on the passenger side. No codes thrown and
no oil being used - or at least not enough to notice. Maybe a gasket leadking onto a header ?
Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to make the repairs, but after some more investigating, I did notice small amount of oil leaking onto the header from the gasket. So, I will be (hopefully this week) replacing the valve cover gaskets once again.

Back