2002 Smells moldy after cleaning up.

Jaxsn
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have recently purchased a 2002 this past Christmas. We drove it last weekend from Nashville to Tupelo. When we returned I gave it a bath and hosed off the rag top. Now it has a moldy smell. Where does the water go when it runs between the ragtop and the trunk? Does it have a plug or something? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have recently purchased a 2002 this past Christmas. We drove it last weekend from Nashville to Tupelo. When we returned I gave it a bath and hosed off the rag top. Now it has a moldy smell. Where does the water go when it runs between the ragtop and the trunk? Does it have a plug or something? Thanks.
I dont know if this will help,when i wash my 02 i put the top half way up and wipe between the glass and the top.This is a area that will collect water and dirt. Also may be time for a cabin filter change. Good luck.

From an old post in 2007-
oouuh! that smell!

I have a 2005 T Bird and the air conditioner and heater ducts are molded from the resourvior not draining from air conditioner.which causes a moldy odor any time you use it. I have resigned myself to the fact that FORD wont do anything about it after 6 trips to the dealer and a 'round' with the district zone mnger. His words were if it did stink we couldnt fix it. All you have a car for anyway is to get from point 'a ' to point 'b'. He was riding in a limo. We did get some advice from a dealer my husband found on ebay. He suggested using a OZONE machine and running it for several times an hour duration each time and the bacteria would be killed. We have spoke to someone who does have one and plan on trying that. Those machines run anywhere from $600. to $2400.00. I love my car and wish I could enjoy it as it should be,but I really wish I had that $46,000.00 I spent buying it. And had something else.:(

If you're handy with tools, you can make a simple spark generator that will emit Ozone. ie a spark plug tester.
Notice that peculiar odor in a lightning storm? Ozone.

How about an antibacterial spray on the suspicious areas?

Let the car sit in the hot sun for a spell? The sun down South will kill anything! Good luck

With the soft top up has the fabric separated at the bottom of the rear window? I don't know where the water goes if you have this problem but assume it goes into the trunk or soft top storage well.

With all the recent rain here in Maryland I have noticed a significant moldy smell in my '04. So far I haven't been able to find any water in the carpets or trunk. My top has some separation at the bottom of the back glass. I believe the smell is primarily coming though the ventilation. Will look again this weekend. (FYI - I changed my cabin filter and cleaned out the airbox about a month ago (and posted pictures here) which improved the smell a great deal - until now.)

Back