2002 Power Steering Pump, Anatomy of a gusher…

stevedaphotoman

stevedaphotoman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
About 2 months ago after putting about 300 miles on out 02 Bird in a week while on vacation, my wife and I were ready to jump in the car to take a short ride to a friend’s house for a back yard social distancing visit. As we were pulling out of the garage, I heard a small grinding sound coming from under the hood. If I remember right, we thought the noise was coming from the right side. As I turned the steering wheel, the noise fluctuated. So not wanting to deal with it then I put it back in the garage and took our daily driver to the visit.

Over the next couple weeks, I did take the T-bird out a number of times for small drives to see if I could duplicate the noise but there was no noise present. We even took it on a 300 mile trip in to the Adirondacks and she drove flawlessly. I guess I was lucky, because last Saturday, I took the Bird out for a quick spin and about 5 miles down the road I stated to smell smoke and as I tried to turn right or left a large groan reverberated from under the hood this time it did sound like it came from the left driver side. As I drove back home, smoke was bellowing out of the rear of the Bird and when I stopped at a traffic light smoke also rose out of the hood. I was about ½ mile from home and luckily I got back to the house. Yes, there was a good size puddle of power steering fluid under the car in the driveway when I stopped. After looking in the garage, there was a silver dollar size oil /power steering fluid spot on the garage floor. When I stated the car that morning there was no noise but within 5 miles, that all changed. I am now waiting for a new power steering pump to be delivered to my mechanic and when I get a call that it came in I will have it towed to the garage for repair.

Okay, Auto 101, here is my question, I know the FEM controls the steering, and if the FEM goes the steering could becomes hard to turn. Because of that, I thought the pump was electric thus the FEM issue. BUT it looks like it’s a mechanical pump that is driven by the serpentine belt that is connected to the rack. I don’t get it.. I hope one of our T-Bird Professors can clarify this.. Next will be a class on hydraulic cooling fans..

Last edited:
The P/S system and pump are basically the same as any vehicle. The pump makes hydraulic pressure and a pressure relief valve, typically and spring and seat, releases any pressure and flow over the set point. See diagram. Same on the Tbird except the the relief valve is electronically controlled by the FEM and the set point is variable and releases more as the speed increases to give a stiffer steering feel.

1595624693962.png

Last edited:
The P/S system and pump are basically the same as any vehicle. The pump makes hydraulic pressure and a pressure relief valve, typically and spring and seat, releases any pressure and flow over the set point. See diagram. Same on the Tbird except the the relief valve is electronically controlled by the FEM and the set point is variable and releases more as the speed increases to give a stiffer steering feel.

View attachment 12837
Thank you Professor Highwayghost, it all makes sense! So the electrics from the FEM is just for the variable steering rate and you sill need the pully off the serpentine belt top create the hydraulic pressure to move the rack and finally the wheels.. So In my case the bearing probably went off the pully.. Are there any all electric power steering in modern cars that doesn't use engine boost to power them? Boy I hope I pass the quiz! :)

Thank you Professor Highwayghost, it all makes sense! So the electrics from the FEM is just for the variable steering rate and you sill need the pully off the serpentine belt top create the hydraulic pressure to move the rack and finally the wheels.. So In my case the bearing probably went off the pully.. Boy I hope I pass the quiz! :)
Quiz? I heard that there’s going to be a blue book exam!

Are there any all electric power steering in modern cars that doesn't use engine boost to power them? Boy I hope I pass the quiz! :)

I don't know the answer to that. Maybe on all electric cars, like a Tesla? A question for a different forum. I have not seen any. The new 'tech' is moving faster than I can keep up. I even hear that from some Dealership mechanics.

I don't know the answer to that. Maybe on all electric cars, like a Tesla? A question for a different forum. I have not seen any. The new 'tech' is moving faster than I can keep up. I even hear that from some Dealership mechanics.

i have heard mention about electric / electronic steering.. As you said I am not familiar with any off hand but I have a feeling it’s the electronic steering rates with the engine hydraulic boost... And like you suggested all electric Tesla’s have to be that..

I did a google search and there are many modern day cars that are all electric. The boost is provided by an electric motor... They say it is lighter in weight and saves gas.. Perhaps that is where I got the notion that the T-bird could of been all electric..

About 2 months ago after putting about 300 miles on out 02 Bird in a week while on vacation, my wife and I were ready to jump in the car to take a short ride to a friend’s house for a back yard social distancing visit. As we were pulling out of the garage, I heard a small grinding sound coming from under the hood. If I remember right, we thought the noise was coming from the right side. As I turned the steering wheel, the noise fluctuated. So not wanting to deal with it then I put it back in the garage and took our daily driver to the visit.

Over the next couple weeks, I did take the T-bird out a number of times for small drives to see if I could duplicate the noise but there was no noise present. We even took it on a 300 mile trip in to the Adirondacks and she drove flawlessly. I guess I was lucky, because last Saturday, I took the Bird out for a quick spin and about 5 miles down the road I stated to smell smoke and as I tried to turn right or left a large groan reverberated from under the hood this time it did sound like it came from the left driver side. As I drove back home, smoke was bellowing out of the rear of the Bird and when I stopped at a traffic light smoke also rose out of the hood. I was about ½ mile from home and luckily I got back to the house. Yes, there was a good size puddle of power steering fluid under the car in the driveway when I stopped. After looking in the garage, there was a silver dollar size oil /power steering fluid spot on the garage floor. When I stated the car that morning there was no noise but within 5 miles, that all changed. I am now waiting for a new power steering pump to be delivered to my mechanic and when I get a call that it came in I will have it towed to the garage for repair.

Okay, Auto 101, here is my question, I know the FEM controls the steering, and if the FEM goes the steering could becomes hard to turn. Because of that, I thought the pump was electric thus the FEM issue. BUT it looks like it’s a mechanical pump that is driven by the serpentine belt that is connected to the rack. I don’t get it.. I hope one of our T-Bird Professors can clarify this.. Next will be a class on hydraulic cooling fans..

What about social distancing for your bird? Did your bird have on facial protection in place before the trip?

Don't forget to have shop flush your Power steering system out if shavings and trash are in the system the will circulate back around and can trash another part of the system say the rack and pinion. Same goes for AC repair shop flush the system for the same reason, Just a thought
Yes a great idea.. I will have them chech the serpentine belt also while they are in there..

Back