2002 Pioneer AVIC-W6400NEX Radio Upgrade

Birdman13
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just wrapped up my radio up grade. Slapped in a new Pioneer AVIC-W6400NEX with all the options one can cram into a relatively small space. The back up camera trigger system was an issue. Had to take the reverse signal from the computer modular because Ford chose to power back up lights with reverse current. No big deal if you know that going in. The Crutchfield folk were very helpful. They give you info beyond just the wiring hook up: power leads, electrical pin locations and the sort. I was skeptical about how much help some one on the other end of the phone might be; they were invaluable.
Also didn't think i'd like the back up camera. Actually it's a very good add on.
Everything was a bit "fidly", but I'm glade I took the time. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 57221401267__AC4C99B5-C1F1-48B7-A12D-1B309025F68D.JPG
    57221401267__AC4C99B5-C1F1-48B7-A12D-1B309025F68D.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just wrapped up my radio up grade. Slapped in a new Pioneer AVIC-W6400NEX with all the options one can cram into a relatively small space. The back up camera trigger system was an issue. Had to take the reverse signal from the computer modular because Ford chose to power back up lights with reverse current. No big deal if you know that going in. The Crutchfield folk were very helpful. They give you info beyond just the wiring hook up: power leads, electrical pin locations and the sort. I was skeptical about how much help some one on the other end of the phone might be; they were invaluable.
Also didn't think i'd like the back up camera. Actually it's a very good add on.
I had the same unit installed in my 2005 T-bird. It really is nice. I had professional installation, so the technicians sorted out the connections. I really like the Wireless Apple Car Play- no plugging in the phone to have all its functionality on screen. One caution- when you install map or firmware upgrades on the head unit, leave your paired phone in the house, or turn off its Bluetooth- I was installing a Pioneer map update when I got an incoming call, and the Pioneer unit stopped in the middle of the update to bring up the phone interface. The map update was toast, and the USB flash drive I was downloading from got scrambled! I had to start from scratch to load the map update on the USB drive and then into the AVIC-W6400.

I had the same unit installed in my 2005 T-bird. It really is nice. I had professional installation, so the technicians sorted out the connections. I really like the Wireless Apple Car Play- no plugging in the phone to have all its functionality on screen. One caution- when you install map or firmware upgrades on the head unit, leave your paired phone in the house, or turn off its Bluetooth- I was installing a Pioneer map update when I got an incoming call, and the Pioneer unit stopped in the middle of the update to bring up the phone interface. The map update was toast, and the USB flash drive I was downloading from got scrambled! I had to start from scratch to load the map update on the USB drive and then into the AVIC-W6400.

Great tip. Haven’t got to the map up date dance just yet. Now that process seems a tad ‘fidly’.

Great tip. Haven’t got to the map up date dance just yet. Now that process seems a tad ‘fidly’.

The map update isn't too bad. You need to go to the web site in the literature, install a program on your computer, and get an 8GB flash drive to serve as the go-between from computer to head unit. The software goes online to the map software vendor and downloads map updates to a flash drive. Firmware updates come directly from the Pioneer website, and download to your computer and then to a flash drive. I trust you installed USB plugs for the head unit during installation. If not, the Riipo dual USB dash mount from Amazon fits one of the lighter socket holes in the dash. See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EBQQNSQ/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

You get a free map update with your new head unit, and Pioneer has a firmware update too.

The map update isn't too bad. You need to go to the web site in the literature, install a program on your computer, and get an 8GB flash drive to serve as the go-between from computer to head unit. The software goes online to the map software vendor and downloads map updates to a flash drive. Firmware updates come directly from the Pioneer website, and download to your computer and then to a flash drive. I trust you installed USB plugs for the head unit during installation. If not, the Riipo dual USB dash mount from Amazon fits one of the lighter socket holes in the dash. See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EBQQNSQ/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

You get a free map update with your new head unit, and Pioneer has a firmware update too.

Might have cheated myself, I just used the iPhone pug running to a drop in the little console cubby hole. Don’t think I’m up to taking that mess out from the dash just to have another usb drop
I struggled getting this thing all in, up and running. More than just a few issues with Ford’s “ better idea “ concept. My I be as bold as asking what the bill was for your install?

The install was $367.00. During the job, my A/C dash vent broke and they replaced it at their expense. They did the camera, microphone in the middle of the windshield, programmed the steering wheel buttons, soldered on the adapter plug to the radio, and hid the GPS antenna. I've done all that stuff before, so I know what a pain it is to get it right. The camera is separate from the license plate. It mounts to the underside of the plate well farther out than the plate, so I get a wider view.

Sounds like a bargain. When I was knee deep in the guts of the back seat of this little beast that number would have been more than a blessing. Arson crossed my mind a few times.
Read about the AC controls not firing back up. I took extra care; all went fine.
Pondering that USB drop unit. Might have to make that happen. During the initial radio extrication I broke a tab from the center vent. Those spring clips just would not disengage. Anyway, might take the unit out ONE LAST TIME before slamming the new vent unit into place

I did note some thing perculiar. The W6400 is suppose to provide 24 channels of selected music. I only get 23. Least so I thought. The first three pages one can save 6 channels each. Sirius radio controls the Featuers page which has 5 channels. Noted the disparity to Pioneer and Crutchfield. Thought maybe the #6 channel in my Featur page was faulty. It's was there, just not properly back lit and would not accept data. Anyway; just a miss connection between what be written and the way it really be.

My Bird is in the shop the next couple days; suspension change out. Was considering doing that but description being the better part of valor and all; well I know a guy

Hey thanks again for the tips.

Ron

I'm new and I would like to know where you put the mike to talk into or is it in the head unit.. I like the way you did it, but your pictures don't show the placement of the mike.

Back