2002 Oil Filter Removal Issue

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was performing an oil change on my 02 TB today...As I was spinning off the oil filter, the double sized male thread adapter with hex head through hole did not remain secured to the oil filter base, it was firmly stuck to the filter...I could not remove it by hand, nor did I have the proper size hex head tool to remove it. Fortunately I was able to find a hex head bolt that was close in size, then double lock nut it to remove it. Has anyone ever encountered this issue?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I was performing an oil change on my 02 TB today...As I was spinning off the oil filter, the double sized male thread adapter with hex head through hole did not remain secured to the oil filter base, it was firmly stuck to the filter...I could not remove it by hand, nor did I have the proper size hex head tool to remove it. Fortunately I was able to find a hex head bolt that was close in size, then double lock nut it to remove it. Has anyone ever encountered this issue?
Yes, same happened on my ‘02. I resecured it best I could. Put on the new oil filter & hand tightened, then snugged with a filter wrench & heard metal contact. I’m thinking same problem next time, but no leaks. Hand tighten only. Silly design flaw. I’m wondering if other brands of filters not motor craft won’t make contact.

Interesting comment about the filter brands...The culprit was an STP-S5618, and I just installed another...I'll see if it happens again, but in the meantime I'll get another brand filter.

Having been around engines for 50 years its a very rare issue at least from my experience. One would have to ask who strong armed that last filter in place? Most manufacturers say spin on 3/4 of a turn past gasket contact, I usually go a full turn past gasket touch, but have never had an adapter come out. You don't want to lock tite that adapter in because you are in the pressure system and you do not want any contamination to circulate or block passages.

Some filters may have a thicker gasket so even the following is a recommendation.

Verify the threads are in good condition for the adapter and where it screws in, no pulled or broken threads, and reinstall tight. Then install a new filter after lubricating the new gasket with a film of oil, tightening 3/4 to 1 turn past where the gasket touches the flange surface. My hands are weak being old, so I tighten with my oil filter wrench because I can barely get a filter to 3/4, but always watch how far I have tightened it, even mark the filter at first gasket contact where you can see it and bring it around 1 more turn. They've always come back off, but it you go much further than 1 turn, watch out.

I remember one I did and the oil filter wrench crushed the filter, I had to drive a screwdriver through it to rotate it off!! So tighter is not better!!

Last edited:
@Matteo2002 when you post, put the model year in the subject as it prompts you. Added for you.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

look the car is 18 years old. shoot happens. The threaded bushing that screws into the aluminum base on the engine got lose after 18 years and it unscrewed when you took the filter out. it's not a BIG deal.

hell, it changes my SHiiT to shoot happens. what the hell.

look the car is 18 years old. shoot happens. The threaded bushing that screws into the aluminum base on the engine got lose after 18 years and it unscrewed when you took the filter out. it's not a BIG deal.

hell, it changes my SHiiT to shoot happens. what the hell.
Sure "shoot" happens...But I've been working on cars for 40yrs and have NEVER seen it happen...Second, it most certainly can be a BIG deal if the person changing the oil just spins the filter off and drops it into a pan of oil without seeing the threaded adapter stuck in the filter, then while attempting to screw the new filter in, it's head scratch time, and for how long before figuring it out? Then finding a way to remove it without fouling the adapter threads, not everyone has a 14mm hex bit socket handy. I just happened to get lucky and think to use a (close in size) hex head bolt with nuts to remove it.

No pictures but if it is that central large threaded tube that the filter screws onto you can clean the threads in the hole and on the tube with lacquer thinner and apply blue LokTite to them and reinstall and it should no longer come off with the filter. And yes, some feel like they have to crank those filters on like there is no tomorrow. The advice about 3/4 turn past gasket contact is good - and always put a film of fresh oil over the gasket before installing the filter.

No pictures but if it is that central large threaded tube that the filter screws onto you can clean the threads in the hole and on the tube with lacquer thinner and apply blue LokTite to them and reinstall and it should no longer come off with the filter. And yes, some feel like they have to crank those filters on like there is no tomorrow. The advice about 3/4 turn past gasket contact is good - and always put a film of fresh oil over the gasket before installing the filter.
Next oil change, I'll take your advice.

Yes, I remember the same thing happened to me on my first oil change. I managed to get the threaded post out of the filter and made sure it was screwed back into the block securely before installing the new filter. Hasn't been an issue since.

Yes, same happened to my ‘02 bird. Caused by over tightening the filter. I put some loctite on mine & reinstalled it. No problem last oil change.,

Back