2002 Headlights on and off when starting

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just bought my 2002 Thunderbird , when starting it today the little red light on dash was blinking and the headlights flashed on and off. The car started fine , this was the first time this has happened as Ive only owned the car about a week. Any ideas? Thanks

I just bought my 2002 Thunderbird , when starting it today the little red light on dash was blinking and the headlights flashed on and off. The car started fine , this was the first time this has happened as Ive only owned the car about a week. Any ideas? Thanks
It is the perimeter alarm.

My car has never done that. Your little red light should not be blinking once you disable it with your key fob. Mine will blink when you engage the alarm and your doors lock. Hope this helps.

I bought my 2002 Tbird on 26 Oct 21. Turning the ignition to On and the headlights flash 5 times. Turning the ignition to RUN and the headlights flash 5 times. The little red light, Anti Theft indicator never flashes, when the Passive Anti Theft System is supposed to be armed/disarmed. On 1 Nov 21, I had two keys and remotes cut and programmed at the local Ford dealer. Car starts every time. Have two repair/workshop digital manuals, one addresses the Anti Theft Passive System (PATS). check Central Junction Box (CJB) (passenger side kick panel) fuse 24 (5A). The Sympton Chart, Condition: The anti-theft indicator is never on - no three second theft indicator prove-out. Possible Sources: Instrument Cluster, Theft Indicator, CJB fuse 7 (5A). Condition: The antitheft system does not operate correctly - the vehicle starts but flashes rapidly at key ON. Incorrect PCM calibration, Power train control module, circuitry, passive anti-theft system receiver, Unprogrammed key. None of the other listed Conditions apply. My fuses are good, bought replacements to test. The corrective action is for the technician to do a PINPOINT TEST A and/or B, with the diagnostic tool. Reading through the 62 pages I printed for additional indicators. If you arrive at a solution, please share.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a high mileage 02 Bird I purchased for spare body parts for my two low mileage Birds. My high
mileage Bird's alarm system acts much like yours. The only way I can set the alarm, and disarm the
alarm is with the key in the drivers door. Unlock the door alarm turns off, lock door alarm goes active.
Sometimes the indicator light on top of the dash flashes, sometimes it does not. On my remote only
the panic button, and trunk button work, the lock, and unlock button do not work.

Try the key in the drivers door, and see if your cars alarm operates properly.

I'd be tempted to reprogram the key fobs....
I don't know of any reason headlights would flash 5 times unless
perhaps indicating some sort of error or alarm condition.

The dash light blinking, and headlights flashing is the alarm system going off, they do that when
the car battery is weak. Car starts but battery voltage drops to low, and triggers alarm.

I used the link below, and ordered two new key fobs from Amazon, received them today, went
out to my high mileage Bird, and programed them to the car. My door locks now lock and
unlock from the key fob, and the alarm system acts normal.

I thought my remote keyless entry module was bad, but it was as simple as a bad key fob
remote. That old car is getting better, and better. Even the lights on the top center of the
dash work correctly.

Many thanks for your responses. Battery is 3 months old Die Hard Platinum. Headlights/turn signal flash 5 times at RUN and START. The antitheft indicator glows for 3 seconds and extinguishes upon starting. The anti theft indicator DOES NOT blink when vehicle is locked. Reprogramed all three key fobs, fully functional. Locking/unlocking with key in door lock does not seem to arm/disarm the perimeter alarm. Unable to trigger the alarm by locking the vehicle with the windows down and opening the door with the interior handle. I guess the dealer will have to troubleshoot the PATS.

Back