2002 Headlight Assembly Module

L

Ladybird Blue

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm looking for a headlight module for the driver side for a 2002. Dealer wants $600 plus for the part which has been discontinued. Any ideas where I can find the part or what I can do for a less expensive remedy?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Mequiar's Headlight Restoration Kit does a nice job and its not hard to apply....
I've used it on all my modern cars....instructions are easy to follow too.

I looked online and this forum
1)with some manipulation, it is possible to cleanse the inside as well as the outside. Inside with cloth, strong magnets wrapped with that cloth and retail agent like "Wipe-Nu" etc. View on youtube.
2)There are after market versions of out headlight assemblies.
I did both, and the originals are in storage, ready to go again.

My wife has a 2004 Thunderbird that she absolutely loves. Honestly, I think she would get rid of me before the car. I want restore the inside and outside of the light cover. What has other people done? Have you replaced both of headlight covers or have you been able to clean it so it looks good as new? Thank you.
The headlights are complete units, so there is no "cover" to restore, and you can't get to the inside without destroying the headlights. Even if you clean up the outside of the units, at this age the yellowing is in the plastic clear through. They may also have tiny cracks throughout the volume of the plastic and there's no remedy for that. My own 2005 Thunderbird had the same issues with the headlights.

You CAN make them look new by buying replacements. I found them from Ford for about $600, but they are also available as aftermarket replacements. They look great, fit perfectly, and adjust exactly like the factory units . Since there are no tiny cracks robbing light, they are much brighter than the old ones I recommend buying replacements instead of trying to polish up the old ones.

Your manual covers headlight bulb replacement, and the same process applies to replace the entire unit, since you have to pull them to get at the bulb. It takes a wrench to remove one nut (I think it's a 10 or 12 mm) and a pair of long pliers to grab the two spring clips on each headlight. You'll also need a small (I think 5 or 6 mm) wrench to turn the height adjustment after replacement, That adjustment is also in the manual.

the cleaner kits do kinda ok in my opinion but never look like new. the easier and better looking option is replacement note that although aftermarket replacements most likely are fine but some are made not as good so you might not have as clean of distance sight as originals mine are aftermarket when I got the car and they work fine but light patterns are not perfect I still would rather have these than yellowed lights

I'm pretty good at detailing and my headlights are about as clear as you can get them, but they hardly look new. The micro cracks cannot be detailed out. I have to agree with everyone that says replace. One of these days I will replace mine. My paint feels like silk and has very few swirls and spider webbing but my head lamps just look shabby no matter what I do.

My wife has a 2004 Thunderbird that she absolutely loves. Honestly, I think she would get rid of me before the car. I want restore the inside and outside of the light cover. What has other people done? Have you replaced both of headlight covers or have you been able to clean it so it looks good as new? Thank you.

Moderator Note:
Get new headlights here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-headlight-assembly-module.8617/#post-54719
I got a new set on eBay for 60 bucks

I have polished mine and it was ok but bought some aftermarkert replacements that look much better

Thanks AGAIN Biddle; just bought 2 to bring my 2002 up to snuff!

Moderator Note:
Get new headlights here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2002-headlight-assembly-module.8617/#post-54719
Just did mine yesterday. Use one of those DEET wipes. Brand name OFF. You won't believe your eyes. Wipe it on. Wipe it off.

Moderator Note:
My 2¢... First the YouTube. Not saying it won't work but for me...disaster. Then Scotch brand from Amazon - (or MacQuire's?) was excellent. Like, really excellent.

My 2¢... First the YouTube. Not saying it won't work but for me...disaster. Then Scotch brand from Amazon - (or MacQuire's?) was excellent. Like, really excellent.

EXACTLY MY PROBLEM! Stay away from YouTube! It cost me a bundle (replacing the lights). 3M was incredible. I have a little left over if you would like it. (-;

Once the polycarbonite material in the lenses starts to deteriorate, the restoration kits will prolong the ability to use the headlights but the rate at which they need re-treated will increase and be less and less effective (e.g. the micro-cracks mentioned above). After about the third "restoration" you will have already spent a good portion of the cost of nice replacements that will look factory-fresh...

And the restoration stuff the pros use won't be found on the shelf at those auto "boutique" stores:

Back