2002 Hardtop leaking

Deputy JJG

Deputy JJG

The RAVEN @ Big Lake, Texas
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After buying my 2002 hardtop approximately 3 weeks ago, I thought I would check for water leaks. So, I drove through an automatic carwash. Oh yeah, it leaked. A small stream came down on both sides of the roof right at the junction of the roof and windshield. All the weatherstripping seems soft and pliable. However, there are gaps that you can stick your finger in. That doesn't seem correct. This is my first convertible after owning 96 vehicles in my lifetime. Thoughts anyone??? Thanks. JJG

After buying my 2002 hardtop approximately 3 weeks ago, I thought I would check for water leaks. So, I drove through an automatic carwash. Oh yeah, it leaked. A small stream came down on both sides of the roof right at the junction of the roof and windshield. All the weatherstripping seems soft and pliable. However, there are gaps that you can stick your finger in. That doesn't seem correct. This is my first convertible after owning 96 vehicles in my lifetime. Thoughts anyone??? Thanks. JJG
I would start by making sure the bolts on each side are actually holding the top down and are tight.

I used the T handle wrench that came with the car and found them to be tight. I have a friend who has a large shop in Ft. Worth and he said he felt confident that he could help me with this problem. He deals in mostly Corvettes but he wasn't concerned about that. Thanks for the reply. JJG

I have an 05, but believe that the hard tops are the same... It took me a couple of times to figure out how to get mine to seal tight, mine had wind noise. First I adjusted the rear side latches so they were in the middle position to get both front screws started then I fully engaged the rear side latches . Then I alternately tightened front screws.
I did use a silicone spray on the seals before I put the top on.
Admittedly, I've never had the hardtop in heavy rain or thru a car wash, but I don't have wind noise at highway speeds.

I'm in Asheville NC so the Hard top is on 5 months, and mostly in the garage. I just took it off for the summer.

enjoy your T-Bird!

Most car washes are under more pressure than the car will ever see in the rain; my hardtop will get a slight drip over the DS window in severe rain. Some suggestions, reread the hardtop installation instuctions as there is a specific sequence to installing alternating betwen the rear levers and the front bolts. The method in the above post is a good procedure.
The manual also says to recheck the attachment points after driving several miles..

Treat all weathstrip and molding with some Aerpspace 303 protectorant and make sure that the rubber is not being distorted when the top is stored. If your friend has dealt with Corvette top leaks - then he is prob an expert - ask me how I know ?

Most likely you should push those small silver round buttons down on the top of windshield frame.

You might try a flexible cushioned roll of rubber foam insulations 1/2" wide sold at hardware stores. Normally used around windows and doors with a glue on one side. Press into places stripes where the gaps are found then put the top in place. If done carefully you can hide the bulges that would be obvious. I know of no supplier of the actual rubber gaskets for that top, if so I would image would be quite expensive.

Back