2002 Hard shift from 1st to second gear

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone else encountered a delayed /hard shift from 1st to 2nd?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No my 02 has always been smooth.

I just bought an 02 and when I have my foot to the floor...there is a hesitation and hard shift...if you find out what it is please let me know.thx threebird

Although I have not experienced a hard shift from from 1st to 2nd, I might expect it under hard acceleration. I would only expect a delay and hard shift when it downshifts under hard acceleration - like an aggressive merge off a ramp when required. (or just for fun!)

It seems that most shifting issues are due to the trans fluid is low (or too high) or, too hot. Unfortunately, with this trans, with no dipstick, you can't check the level (not easily) or smell the fluid to see if it is burnt. (Seriously -who thought no dipstick was a good idea.)

To Threebird: you can search and find other threads here about how this transmission "learns" the driver's habits as you drive (heavy foot or light foot; gentle or mental; etc.), and how if you disconnect or change your battery it forgets everything and has to relearn your driving style.

I had this problem of shifting at around 50K miles on my 05. The result had nothing to do with the fluid. Instead the shifting which would either be very hard often between 2nd to 3rd or as time went on between 1st to 2nd or sometimes no shift at all. The tach would increase in rpms but no shift would occur.
The fix was removal of the transmission to access the fragments of one of the solenoids used to shift, then reassemble & install. Expensive!

Yes. I had to have a refurbished PCM installed because of the wrench icon. Ever since, very hard shift from 1st to 2nd. I have a good mechanic (I think) and my 2003 runs great except for that. I'm just learning to live with it. If I let up on the gas right before the shift, it's a smoother transition.

Back