2002 fuel relay location

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check your owners manual, on the fuses/relays page. It will be in one of the two power distribution boxes. One is under the hood on the driver side inner fender. The other is in the trunk next to the battery and spare tire. Without looking it up, my guess would be the rear one.

Thanks trying to get 2002 tbird running.been sitting awhile seems no gas in it.Rolls over fine just think no fuel getting thru.starting with this relay

There is also a emergency fuel pump shutdown switch, it's purpose is to shut down the fuel feed in the event of a collision to prevent a fire. It's unlikely that it is tripped unless it was in an accident, but would be something to check. Also check the manual for it's location, normally they are in the passenger side kick panel or under the dash near the glove compartment. Can you hear the fuel pump cycling when you turn the key from off to run??

Luggage compartment

Assignment of the fuses and relays in the Luggage compartment (2002)

Amp Rating
Description
115ADecklid solenoid
25ALicense plate lamp
310ALeft rear turn and stop lamp
410ALuggage compartment lamp
5Not used
610ABack-up lamps
710ARight rear turn and stop lamp
85ACenter high-mounted stop lamp
9Not used
10Not used
11Not used
125AREM logic (if equipped)
13Not used
145AConvertible top relay coil
155AAlternator sense
16Not used
1715AFuel pump
1820ASubwoofer amplifier
1930ADriver power seat
2030AFEM - Left front window
21Not used
2220AIgnition switch
2330ASSP4
2430ASSP3
2540AP-J/B
2630APassenger power seat
2730ASSP1
2830AREM -Right front window
2930ARear defroster
30Not used
31Not used
3230ASSP2
Relay 001Full ISOSSP1
Relay 002Full ISOSSP4
Relay 003Full ISORear defroster
Relay 004Full ISOSSP3
Relay 005Full ISOSSP2
Relay 006Not used
Relay 0071/2 ISOFuel pump
Diode 01Not used
Diode 021AFuel pump motor

Trunk Fuse Block.jpg

I checked the relay, diode & fuse with an ohmmeter when mine wouldn't start and they all checked good. Had it towed to the ford dealer and they replaced the fuel pump to get it running ($1,800.00).

Ouch! There’s a theory that allowing the tank to go below 1/4 can damage the pump.

Sorry, my fuel tank was almost full (.6 miles since last fill-up). That's just the distance from the gas station to my house. These cars are expensive to maintain and a lot of the necessary parts are no longer available, at least according to my Ford dealer. My other 2-seater is a 1954 Chevrolet Corvette so I'm used to that. When the manufactures switched over to "fly-by-wire" the cars got hard to maintain at home and when the supply of electronic modules dries up almost impossible for even the dealers to maintain. Some folks on this site have successfully replaced T-Bird fuel pumps but @ 77 I'm getting a bit old to tackle it.

Do you think relay007 replacement will solve issue?
Simple enough to test that... Many of the relays are the same. Pull one from another spot that you know is working like the horn or wipers and see it it fixes it. Put the fuel pump relay back in where you pulled the test relay from and see if it works in that spot.

Ouch! There’s a theory that allowing the tank to go below 1/4 can damage the pump.
I have also heard that, but I don't know that there is any science that backs up the theory. My experience.... I run my '15 F250 work truck down to fumes regularly when traveling (just did it again today), 113k+ and still original pump. Wife's '03 Caravan with 260k+... original pump. With that many miles it surely would been run low dozens of times. IMO, Unfortunately, some parts just fail.... earlier than they should. :(

My 2002 T-Bird had 77512.9 miles on it when it wouldn't start and Raceway Ford replaced the fuel pump. They had to keep it a couple of extra days because the OEM gasket wouldn't seat properly and they had to order an after market gasket to finish the repair.

Electric pumps cool by the fuel, so theory is running low can overheat. However, our Ts have hip tanks over each side of the hump & two pumps, so the 1st half tank runs low & pumps switch to tank 2. So why wouldn’t the first pump wear out from constant empty overheating? FYI they are located through rear seat speaker grilles & floor caps - hard to get to. I had a gas smell & found one cap loose.

Thanks trying to get 2002 tbird running.been sitting awhile seems no gas in it.Rolls over fine just think no fuel getting thru.starting with this relay
i think you will have to replace the fuel pump ...i had the same thing after setting for a while.

Back