2002 driver's side smoking from hood

• Thread starter historyhunter1954
  • Start date
Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
historyhunter1954

historyhunter1954

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
At last the dealer figured out what caused the smoke that came from under the hood off and on from the driver's side
near the wipers. It was the valve cover gasket. Had it replaced. No more smoking!
Must have been a very small leak, just enough for a drop on the hot pipes but not enough to show spotting under the car.
Thought I would let everyone know.
I was not on here for a long time. I hope everyone has a great 2021.

I actually took it for repairs because of the check engine light being on and the engine breaking up. They ordered two COPS and two spark plugs. They said with that I will have replaced them all (6 others were done in the past several years)
When I went back to have them installed they found oil on the plugs so they ordered a valve cover gasket and I came back later and had the whole job done.
That fixed the smoking and extremely ruff engine breaking up.
The sad part now is the engine still breaks up a tad at a certain speed & pressure on the gas pedal. I think I read another post a while back about breaking up at a certain gas pedal position. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

The fact that you've replaced the COPs at various other times in the past doesn't mean they are all still good. It's possible that another one has broken down. There are other causes for a stumble (if that's what you mean by "br[e]aking down", but this is the place to start. Many of the owners on this forum recommend replacing them ALL at the same time, at least on the same side, since it's a hassle to keep removing and replacing the coil covers, and replacement COPs are inexpensive.

Back