2002 Compact spare

• Thread starter Martin Penland Teem
  • Start date
Martin Penland Teem

Martin Penland Teem

Lilbird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Compact spare: Mine exploded in the trunk. Where can I get a replacement? 2002 Premium T185/60-17.

Martin, that's a good question. I'm going to look at mine and then go out on the web and see what's available. Don't buy it from Ford!
If you've found one, give us the details please.
Living in Arizona, I'm very familiar with tires exploding. Cheers, Frank

Martin, that's a good question. I'm going to look at mine and then go out on the web and see what's available. Don't buy it from Ford!
If you've found one, give us the details please.
Living in Arizona, I'm very familiar with tires exploding. Cheers, Frank
According to their web site Maxxis can supply a replacement in our size for $175.00. Thunderbird Concepts also lists A replacement but the size they quote is not exactly the same as the factory provided tire. I suppose it could be a misprint. I have bought a lot of stuff from Thunderbird Concepts and I've always been satisfied in the past.

Martin, $175! By the time they charge you for shipping and a tire outfit charges you to install it, you'll be paying $250. A slightly smaller size, as long as it is a 17" diameter, won't make a bit of difference. We're talking no faster than 50mph and no further than 50 miles (I think they have backed of this now).
I'll take a look at Thunderbird Concepts. Also, the 2005-2011 Ford Mustang uses a 155/70R17 compact tire. I believe it is on a 4" wide rim. It might work on the Thunderbird. Be a lot cheaper and available. Depends on the width of our wheel, I'll take a look at mine to see. F

I managed to get a replacement off ebay, they sold these as spares for the new ford mustang up until around 2015, bought it new off a wrecked car never used and just got a friend to change the tire onto the compact rim, only cost around $175 total

The spare on my 2002 (now have a 2005) exploded as well in 2015 and I had a hard time finding one. Found one on eBay Used 185/60/17 Maxxis SPARE TIRE - 4/32 40% #7740 for $67, 40% used. Of course I never needed one again.

Martin, the Thunderbird Concepts spare tire is the same as an 05-11 Mustang tire. I got deep into this subject today. I'll synopsize tomorrow. Good info for all who are running around with a spare tire that is between 11 and 14 yrs old. There is a reasonable tire available and also a neat option if the bolt pattern is standard Ford and the offset of the wheel is okay for the bird. More on that tomorrow.
Also, does everyone know how to read the DOT age code on the tire to determine when the tire was made? Gotta go. Cheers, a Frank

The spare rim that came with the modern mustang one I got did not match up with the studs for the TBird so I had to have the tire switched onto the original spare rim.

If you're desperate, a 195/55r-17 should work. It's 10mm wider and only 3mm less in diameter. Google it, I think there's two options. A 175/70-17 is too small in my opinion.

TP10356000 T185/55R18 109M it should be the last item on the page.

edit

Last edited:
Ok, Gus, but how you getting the 18 inch tire on a 17 inch rim? By the way, the 185/60r17 is listed on the Maxxis Canadian website - for $230.

DUH.. I don't know what I was looking at earlier. This is right off my invoice.

TP10355800
T185/60R17 102M M9500N
USD$ 159.00

I emailed Maxxis and asked if this product was still available

For my '05 T-bird I wanted a replacement spare that is closer to the OEM regular tire size of P235/50R17 (26.25" OD and 9.25" wide on 7.5" rims) than the original Maxxis T185/60R17 temporary spare (25.74" OD and 7.28" wide on a 5" spare rim). The largest tire I found that just fit in the trunk only when mounted on the 5" spare rim is a P205/55R17 (25.88" OD and 8.07" wide, which is a bit wide for the 5" spare rim but it works without the high 60 psi required for the temporary spare). I purchased a Federal Formoza FD2 P205/55ZR17 from SimpleTire.com for about $90 shipped. It should be good for at least another 12 years.

Call this lady at Maxxix Canada, she'll take care of you. Jessie 905-789-0882 ext 214.

Back