2002 Check Engine Light

N

Nalnacs

COOL BRD
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Two days ago my engine warning light came on. The car runs well.it is a 2002 model. Any thoughts on what the problem might be. John

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you post of the forums, please follow the prompts for adding model year etc. I will add it for you.

You need to purchase an OBD II scanner to scan the codes.

modelyear.jpg

Dude. Could be a million different things. You need to get the fault code in order to narrow it down. Most auto parts stores will read the code for free.

Head on over to AutoZone. Have them pull the codes. It's Free
Why would anyone not have a cheap OBDII scanner, especially during a pandemic? Who wants to waste time driving to/from Autozone and then waiting to get the codes read when you can do it at home. It took me 20 minutes just to pay for merchandise, I can't imagine waiting until they were not busy to get a code read. Anyone who owns a car should have a code scanner. Works on all your cars too.

Some of us have a difficult time to just find the socket for the scanner. It does require you to look under the dashboard...

Some of us have a difficult time to just find the socket for the scanner. It does require you to look under the dashboard...

There's nothing difficult about it.
You don't have a choice now, they won't get in your car anymore because of the pandemic and you have to put it in there yourself, or at least that is what they are supposed to do.

Why would anyone not have a cheap OBDII scanner, especially during a pandemic? Who wants to waste time driving to/from Autozone and then waiting to get the codes read when you can do it at home. It took me 20 minutes just to pay for merchandise, I can't imagine waiting until they were not busy to get a code read. Anyone who owns a car should have a code scanner. Works on all your cars too.
That's true. There was even a line at the door the other day. Amazon has some great deals, I think I got the one your linked to a while back

Two days ago my engine warning light came on. The car runs well.it is a 2002 model. Any thoughts on what the problem might be. John
I would not guess. Any good parts house will read it for you and some will reset at your request. Most people buy a code reader but be careful the cheap ones will require you buy an expensive phone app to actually work.

2003, 8000 miles.
My check engine lite also came on. I purchased obd 2 unit for $48.00. My message was
P0442. I pushed the reset button, lite is still staying off after 300 miles. Autozone or O Riley will ckeck the codes for you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine light could mean just about anything...from loose gas cap to needing new head gasket. Best thing to do is have your mechanic put the computer to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine light could mean just about anything...from loose gas cap to needing new head gasket. Best thing to do is have your mechanic put the computer to it.
You can see if it's something simple first by reading the codes yourself. Also allows you to educate yourself and keep the shop honest.

I'm going to give you my take and I am not mechanic but have had the same code on my 2003 WW. The evaporative leak is most likely coming from hoses that sit on top of your fuel tank. I have seen this same code reported by many others so this seems to be a rare but occasional issue with the Thunderbirds. To fix it would require the fuel tank to be dropped which is most likely not an easy task. In my case what ever the sensor is that detects it apparently picks up the error code when my fuel tank gets near 1/2 full and below. I learned to keep the fuel tank always above 1/2 and it this does not set off the sensor then the "Check Engine" light. If I ever get the light again I just reset it with the OBD and go from there. So try this as a test too see if this is the problem. The evaporative leak is not dangerous to your health nor will you smell it within your car.

Try cleaning your gas cap. Use an alcohol wipe and wipe the gas cap and the top of the inside, then put a little vasaline on a qtip and rub it around the gas cap. Now cross your fingers. That was my problem. The light came on twice, several months apart, same problem both times. I just had a new gas cap put on.

Try cleaning your gas cap. Use an alcohol wipe and wipe the gas cap and the top of the inside, then put a little vasaline on a qtip and rub it around the gas cap. Now cross your fingers. That was my problem. The light came on twice, several months apart, same problem both times. I just had a new gas cap put on.
I did the alcohol wipe on the gas cap and the engine light went off. Thank You.This is an example of the value of being a member of the TBird Forum.

Back