2002 Channel around trunk (where struts are) fill with water

VolleyballJIM

VolleyballJIM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The channel (conduit I guess) where the struts connect to the Chassis fills with water after car washing/rain. Also some black specks. I'm diligent about getting towels (quite a few) and mopping them down each time. Does anyone know if that water should be there? Can't locate anyplace for it to drain, other than the black housing for the rear light (under that assembly). Anyway, my car is parked on a driveway that is not level (not that steep, but not level) and I have to park backward (too hard to exit the vehicle)...ANYWAY, just wondered if anyone had any ideas on the water buildup there during rain or heavy car washing.

The black specks,,, the rubber covering the springs for the trunk lid,,, the black specks are coming from inside. I removed mine, cleaned the area. This may be an ongoing thing,,,

The channel (conduit I guess) where the struts connect to the Chassis fills with water after car washing/rain. Also some black specks. I'm diligent about getting towels (quite a few) and mopping them down each time. Does anyone know if that water should be there? Can't locate anyplace for it to drain, other than the black housing for the rear light (under that assembly). Anyway, my car is parked on a driveway that is not level (not that steep, but not level) and I have to park backward (too hard to exit the vehicle)...ANYWAY, just wondered if anyone had any ideas on the water buildup there during rain or heavy car washing.
I think you should post a couple of pix with water shown, as i don't fully understand what area you are speaking of. If is simply the trough around the trunk opening, i would drill some 1/4" holes (to start) to see if that supplies sufficient drainage. I would also check under where you would drill, to make sure you don't now send water somewhere it doesn't belong. I think some pix would make it easier to understand your dilemma.

Pour a cup of water in the channel and see where it goes. I was going to do that today but we had severe weather conditions.

I was able to do my little experiment today. When the water was poured in the channel, it escaped by going under the black plastic piece directly behind the tail light assembly. It then must have quickly gone down a drain and exited straight down to the ground. This held true for both sides. Those with problems most likely have a clogged drain.
96A059E0-2E32-48FF-9753-CC531E13814F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The area behind the tail lights always get dirt and specks from driving for a while it's a normal accumulation of dirt blowing in under the lips of the trunk. Also helps to keep in mind to lubricate all moldings now and then to keep them pliable.

Back