2002 Brakes Hard to push

A

AtlantaTBird1

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my 2002. My brake pedal is getting hard to push. Almost like it's not getting any assist. I've called the dealership and had them tell me anything from master cylinder to the brake power booster. Quotes were a bit high so I wanted to see if anyone had any problems such as this. There's no leakage under the car and no lights are on the dashboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

ive had brake lines go bad on a Porsche I had.
I just bought 4 new lines from rock auto and a liter of type 4 fluid for my 03
16 years old
they'll be installed asap
on the p car the brakes would not release till lines replaced but they were screwed up.

I called the dealership and they told me it would be 400 for the booster and 400 for the labor to do it. I went to Goodyear and they confirmed both the master cylinder and the booster are bad. They are willing to do the work for both for labor of 325 and parts of a bit over 400. They will also change the brake fluid for another 100. They gave me a total bill of 811 to do it. I think I'm going to have to make this move as I have grown tired of the brakes giving me trouble. What do you guys think?

I called the dealership and they told me it would be 400 for the booster and 400 for the labor to do it. I went to Goodyear and they confirmed both the master cylinder and the booster are bad. They are willing to do the work for both for labor of 325 and parts of a bit over 400. They will also change the brake fluid for another 100. They gave me a total bill of 811 to do it. I think I'm going to have to make this move as I have grown tired of the brakes giving me trouble. What do you guys think?
Well the good news is that if the brakes don't stop the car, something else will. I prefer to have the brakes stop mine so i would get it done.

I think looking at where the booster is and how much work it will take probably not to bad a price and Goodyear usually has a warranty, and uses good parts.

I do think brake booster is bad, and while there you should change out master cylinder, since
internal components are old. Might not hurt to get another price, seems a little high, maybe
get a smaller brake only shop to give you a bid.

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my 2002. My brake pedal is getting hard to push. Almost like it's not getting any assist. I've called the dealership and had them tell me anything from master cylinder to the brake power booster. Quotes were a bit high so I wanted to see if anyone had any problems such as this. There's no leakage under the car and no lights are on the dashboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is one more please you can check and that is the brake calipers. Could be rusty and keeping them from sliding easily.

if its a vacuum booster there should be a way to check for leaks.
it could be a rubber diaphragm problem, more ford rubber, idk.

When I bought my 05 3 1/2 years ago. I was the 2nd owner. Car had 37K miles. I changed every fluid including brake fluid. The brakes didn’t feel right. Decided everything had to go.New hoses, calipers, rotors and shoes. Fixed all my problems. Stops on a quarter. Tires have gotten bigger. Had to use a quarter. Decided to change front hubs this year.

When I bought my 05 3 1/2 years ago. I was the 2nd owner. Car had 37K miles. I changed every fluid including brake fluid. The brakes didn’t feel right. Decided everything had to go.New hoses, calipers, rotors and shoes. Fixed all my problems. Stops on a quarter. Tires have gotten bigger. Had to use a quarter. Decided to change front hubs this year.
What size tires did you end up with?

Back