2002 airbag warning light 3-2 32

Z
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi fellow birders. I have never posted a question so I apologize in advance if I'm not doing it right. I own a 2002 and have had good luck with it till now. The airbag light is flashing 25. Any ideas what that means an what is the remedy?

Hi fellow birders. I have never posted a question so I apologize in advance if I'm not doing it right. I own a 2002 and have had good luck with it till now. The airbag light is flashing 25. Any ideas what that means an what is the remedy?
Fault code 25 indicates a PAD switch fault.

Normal Operation
The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the status of the passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) switch at C310a pin 8, circuit 8-JA26 (WH/BK). The PAD switch signals the RCM by switching a resistance to ground. If the RCM senses 900-1,100 ohms in the PAD switch, it enables the passenger air bag and turns off the PAD switch warning lamp. If the RCM senses 400-600 ohms in the PAD switch, it deactivates the passenger air bag and turns the PAD switch warning lamp on. If the RCM detects an invalid resistance, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1871 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 25 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes
A PAD switch fault could be caused by:
- a damaged or inoperative PAD switch.
- a faulted RCM.
- a short to battery, short to ground or open on circuit 8-JA26 (WH/BK).
- a open on circuit 31-JA26 (BK/RD).

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Air Bag Code.jpg

Airbag warning light blinks three then two several times and then stays on

Yes. Thank you for responding. The cruise control is a bit tricky to activate but works fine. What do you ask about these things?

Airbag warning light blinks three then two several times and then stays on

Normal Operation

The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the resistance of the driver air bag ignitor by measuring the resistance between pins 3 and 4. If the RCM detects high resistance between these pins, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1932 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 32 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

Driver air bag high resistance can be caused by:
- a poor connection or corrosion in the driver air bag module circuits or the clockspring.
- an open circuit or high resistance in the air bag sliding contact windings.
- an open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness.
- an open circuit or high resistance in the driver air bag module.
- a faulted RCM.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thank you. About how much did it cost to replace clockspring?
Since your flash a lamp fault code is 32, indicating the driver air bag has high resistance and your cruise control and horn are working properly, why are you going to replace the clock spring?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thank you. How, and how difficult, is it to determine which of these is causing the problem?
Unless you are trained and understand Supplemental Restraint Systems, I suggest that you take your vehicle to a trained professional for repairs. Accidental deployment of the air bag can cause possible personal injury.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Air Bag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 24504

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Thank you, Doug. You sure seem to be an expert on these things. Here in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, all we know is football. Only one Ford dealership far from me. Many other mechanics/auto repair shops but I’m not sure they are capable of sophisticated diagnosing of my airbag problem. There are two connections under each seat. One is gray. One is yellow. Which one is for the airbag and might that be the problem? Again, Doug, thank you.

All airbag connectors throughout the car are yellow, but why are you looking under the seat when the driver air bag has high resistance? Before you start disconnecting any of the airbag connectors, disconnect the battery and wait at least 10 minutes for the system to power down. Failure to do so could result in accidental airbag deployment.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Over the past few years the airbag light has come on intermittently. This spring the 3-2 code (Drivers side airbag) comes on every time we use the car. I found a new NOS oem clock spring close to me so installed that first. That fixed the intermittently working tilt and in/out for the steering wheel, but still have the airbag code. I ordered a replacement used airbag from Auto Gator and installed it, and I still have the code. When talking to them, the shop manager says these bird's and LS cars are notorious for grounding issues and that is probably my issue. He said airbags check good or bad, no in between, and they rarely get one back.

So my question to the forum is, has anyone experienced bad grounding and where do I need to look.

Thanks

Mark Durham

Last edited by a moderator:
When talking to them, the shop manager says these bird's and LS cars are notorious for grounding issues and that is probably my issue.
I've never heard this in the 23 years I've managed this site, but with any car two decades old, there can certainly be corrosion.

Over the past few years the airbag light has come on intermittently. This spring the 3-2 code (Drivers side airbag) comes on every time we use the car. I found a new NOS oem clock spring close to me so installed that first. That fixed the intermittently working tilt and in/out for the steering wheel, but still have the airbag code. I ordered a replacement used airbag from Auto Gator and installed it, and I still have the code. When talking to them, the shop manager says these bird's and LS cars are notorious for grounding issues and that is probably my issue. He said airbags check good or bad, no in between, and they rarely get one back.

So my question to the forum is, has anyone experienced bad grounding and where do I need to look.

Thanks

Mark Durham
Issue fixed. There is a ground down by the module by your left foot when driving. I loosened it, retightened it, and the 3-2 code went away and the the system works fine.
Mark

Back