2002-2005 Thunderbird Engine Shroud Cover Removal

TomThunder
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've seen photos online where TBird owners have removed their engine shroud cover. Anyone know if there is any particular advantage by removing it?

MyThunderbird015.png

Advantage? might run a little cooler? But, you might hear more engine noise. . .

I think if Ford thought it might help they would have not put one on in the first place. LOL

I think if Ford thought it might help they would have not put one on in the first place. LOL
Yes but help with what... Aesthetics for example. According to sources like Stack Exchange, the covers reduce engine noise and protect the engine from dust, debris, etc, while adding a cleaner look to the engine bay.

Go figure. Maybe they happen to take a photo while they were doing engine maintenance. Who knows. No plans to take mine off, I was just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
How noisy is it compared to the stock one. I have an extra on I picked up years ago but it’s NOS and I’m not sure I want the district it. Or sell sell it. Or just look for one with the paint worn off. Or,? Lol

I will say this, with it removed, it does look like you actually have a V8 under the hood. With the shroud on, it looks likes you have an electric shaver under your hood.

That said, still keeping it on. I'm losing 4 thunderbird logos on my car when I have after-market wheels installed next week. I don't want to lose a 5th logo by removing the shroud.

No for sure you would not want to loose another Ford Orr Thunderbird logo. There is only about 24 places on a stock Retro where you either see Ford or Logo.

About the engine cover when everyone was attempting to troubleshoot why the COPs were failing some thoughts were it was from heat & removing the cover would help . Then no cover or customizing came into the picture. Both ideas seem to have gone away.

No for sure you would not want to loose another Ford Orr Thunderbird logo. There is only about 24 places on a stock Retro where you either see Ford or Logo.

Good point, if you include the interior logos. Still, shroud is staying on, I've seen no real solid reason to remove it.

I do like what this TBird owner did, paint the shroud to match his car.....

MyThunderbird017.png

But as I mentioned in another thread, I'm going with the midnight black theme. My shroud is already black. I suppose I could have it painted gloss black to match the body. Maybe I will throw that idea onto the bottom of my wish list.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: lmc
where do I find that cover ?
okay I mean what yr model?
is it a 3.9?
thanks
don
I got a Lincoln LS cover and a Jaguar S type off ebay, cut the center out of them and combine the two.

You can purchase the Jaguar Engine cover discussed in the link above here-

Back