2002-2005 Maxxis Spare Tire PSI

Oldiger

Oldiger

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
A question about the Maxxis spare tire! On the tire it says to inflate to 60 Psi. The regular tires on the car are inflated to 35 Psi. I know the spare is only used in emergency situations but it seems strange to me that it is inflated to such a high psi. Someone please explain! Thank you.

Please excuse, what I meant to say is "should the spare tire be stored all winter at 60 PSI?" Even during the summer months when it's driven, it seems to me that it would be extremely hot in the trunk compartment and that would expand the tire even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Maxxis USA is sold out, order it from Maxxis Canada!

Order from Maxxis USA
Part Number- TP10355800
Size- T185/60R17

Order from Maxxis Canada
Part Number- TP1035580A
Size- T185/60R17

maxxis-tire.png

Last edited:
You can also fit a full size 230/50-17 in the well of the trunk. It’s a tight squeeze and the cover will not lay flat but it’s doable for those who like a full size spare.

Well, having seen posts of some you having spare tires blowing up.....I thought I should check mine. Several days ago, I heard a noise and looked outside but saw nothing unusual. Yesterday, I checked my spare and discovered that it had indeed blown up while in the trunk. Where I live, it has been over 100 degrees since May ( some years way earlier ). The spare is a Firestone and most likely an original doughnut spare. The size is T185 60R 17. I had a tire blow up on my parked car once. It was 117 that day. Anyway, I will now have to find a new spare somewhere. I feel that I am truly part of the Thunderbird community. Live long and prosper. No pun intended. :cool:

You can also fit a full size 230/50-17 in the well of the trunk. It’s a tight squeeze and the cover will not lay flat but it’s doable for those who like a full size spare.
yes, but will tire fit on existing wheel? If not, can I get a wheel that will match studs?

I used a 205/55/17 (25.88" diam) tire as a replacement for the oem spare 185/60/17 (25.75" diam). The 205/55/17 fits in the spare tire area w/o any interference.

I used a 205/55/17 (25.88" diam) tire as a replacement for the oem spare 185/60/17 (25.75" diam). The 205/55/17 fits in the spare tire area w/o any interference.
I went ahead and bought a Continental tire of almost same size as original from Discount Tire. I don't care about originality as much as security. Where I live, a person needs a spare tire. Thanks for your reply. JJG

Searching site for information on replacing donut tire.

Searching site for information on replacing donut tire.
If you had searched the site for information, you wouldn't have needed to post. Lol

The T’Bird has the original donut spare (now 20 years old) that I deflated for obvious safety reasons. I need to buy a replacement, however I have yet to locate a supplier. Any recommendations would certainly be appreciated.

Back