2002-2005: Best way to hide key on vehicle exterior?

R

rcsunrise

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings. I'll spare you the reasons but i must hide a key on the exterior of a 2003. The answer in this case is not about FOBs or remote entry or key codes or alarms. I must hide the ignition/door key the old fashioned way. Historically one might have used a small metal key box attached somewhere with a magnet. However virtualy no accessible metal surface on the vehicle. Want it to be a method such that many years from now it will still reliably be in place. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank u very much. Not a perfect solution but pretty good.

Perfect solutions are hard to come bye. I'm still searching for options. I've locked myself out of my car 2x in 43 yrs of driving but both times locating a screw-driver 2 use would've been a big challenge. Now i'm newly sharing the vehicle with a driver where it may happen more often, so I'm looking 4 best possibility.

I really appreciate the idea and hope others emerge too. Thanks again

That's a beautiful 'bird in your 'avatar' photo! Thanks so much for your msg. I'll spare you the reasons but i must hide a key on the exterior of a 2003. Your idea is simple and has to be effective usually. I'll admit I'm making it complicated but I'm not giving up yet. Very kind of you and Warrbucks to offer help to a stranger so thanks again.

I used to run a used car biz with my Dad in the '60s; those "Hide A Key" spare boxes are a joke; most any of them can be found in two minutes even on an all-metal car.
If you're still all fizzed-up to do it then at least consider one of these for a bit of added security:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_...teid=0&campid=5338236430&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

if it were me I'd fabricate a thin steel strip from sheet metal stock to go across the back of the front bumper attached by screws through the two holes provided for the front license plate mount; then get decorative covers for the exposed screw heads and stick the magnetic holder up behind the bumper on the metal strip. Paint the screw covers body color for some aesthetic appeal:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_...teid=0&campid=5338236430&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Prob 45 minutes work, unobtrusive and secure. Even people that know these cars would prob blow by the plastic bumper in a search for a spare key holder; they know there's nothing metallic there normally. If you need the key just squat down in front of the car and reach up and detach the holder, no unscrewing anything or disassembling of parts.
Capture.PNG
I've felt behind there and there is plenty of room..

On reflection, the above has a couple of drawbacks:

1) Now everybody who read the post knows about this, and,

2) You may have to hide a note in your underwear stating the spare key location and combination for the holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
The number of people that search cars for a hide a key in 2020- ZERO. They pull door handles looking for unlocked cars, but I doubt you will see people at the mall searching car to car hoping to find one with a magnetic key box. It would take days/weeks to finally find one.

Unscrew rear license play, tape to back & rescrew. Bad idea to leave accessible, that’s how cars get stolen!
Think you need to hide a screwdriver somewhere too!

A tip I liked from a while back was to find a spot underneath and secure it with a bolt and wingnut.
(Must be on the car and not on person? I'm thinking no pockets so, nudist colony resident?) :D

My thanks to all of u for volunteering to assist a newbie stranger. I've given a lot of thought to all your comments. Your ideas r good and have even gotten me thinking of other things as well.

At this moment I'm undecided. As i said, perfect solutions r elusive.

If any1 else comes along, and sees the thread, and has an idea, it will be rec'd+read+acknowledged w/ appreciation.

Due 2 the current so-so condition of the car, and due 2 the fact I've never had it o'night anywhere besides my home or the home of friends (neither of which is theft-proof but r theft-less-likely), the ultimate solution will be an easily installed + easily accessed but hidden key on the vehicle. Odds of a very rare lockout r higher than odds of a more rare theft attempt. As i said in older T'birds a magnetic key box likely would've sufficed but on the '03 there r essentially no metal surfaces with both ez reach + ez installation of a hidden key.

Either now or next time wife or i r locked out of the car we'll be 2 old or o'wise unable to shimmy underneath a low-2-the-road chassis like a T'bird. As i said b4, unfortunately FOBs/remote entry isn't the solution or prevention in this unique instance. I'm motivated, and will come to a resolution, but not b4 exhausting all possibilities. Thanks again to all of u

I ordered that Hide-A-Key combination case in the eBay link I provided above. Turns out it comes with a metal plate you can secure to nearly any surface with that really strong 3M adhesive tape (the same tape that holds our TBird emblems on) and then the lock box itself can be magnetically stuck to it.

So, it doesn't matter if you want to stick it to "plastic" car body parts (such as behind the front bumper).
capture.jpg

I just remembered another solution. You can use a Ford keyless entry keypad. It will work with our birds (know someone using it). He mounted it under the windshield on the plastic near the wipers. It could also be near the door handle but will not be flush with the body.

thank u, very helpful FTF. 3 things:

1. I thought i was the only 1 this century trying to hide a key on a car. R u doing the same? On a T'bird no less? Or had some altogether different purpose?
2. I have to reach under to feel whether the space behind the front bumper includes a "shelf" wide enought to support the weight of the box. I think i'd have confidence in the 3M super tape as long as gravity +weight isn't working against it for yrs.
3. New development. Asked someone at a shop where i've purchased simple auto parts at times through the yrs. He reminded me of the generus cavity space to the right of the gas cap. Says I've been "over thinking it". He recommended simply wrapping a key in an old greasy rag and depositing it there, or taping the key to the floor of that space, but in my mind i was thinking of the combo lock-box u linked from ebay. A little voice inside of me is saying don't put anything within miles of the gas tank. OTOH the plastic lockbox shouldn't be any more of a problem than the plastic gas cap. Still his answer just seems too darn easy.....like something must be wrong with it.

I just remembered another solution. You can use a Ford keyless entry keypad. It will work with our birds (know someone using it). He mounted it under the windshield on the plastic near the wipers. It could also be near the door handle but will not be flush with the body.

Bond 007,

thank u. high potential. First i have to make sure i'm clear about both mounting it on the car, and programming, though i have guesses of course[/url]

Would like further confirmation this keypad works because online documentation says not compatible.

Last edited:
The eBay combo Hide-A-Key lockbox will not fit in the gas cap cavity; I just tried it.
HOWEVER - if you reach through the front bumper slot just to the right of and below the bumper light on the passenger side and put your arm in there about 10" there is a steel frame brace with a definite shelf on it where the box DOES fit; I just tried it...

You'll have to feel around for the shelf on the left up in there but its very secure and the box will attach magnetically with no problem. No way its moving around up in that spot.

As to the touch keypad, just call me skeptical about adding any more electrical do-dads onto these cars considering the PATS security system...mess that up and you are in a world of hurt...

Would like further confirmation this keypad works because online documentation says not compatible.
I understand. All I can tell you is that I know someone on another forum that has been using this for some years now. Perhaps he has an older version of the keypad that was compatible.

The eBay combo Hide-A-Key lockbox will not fit in the gas cap cavity; I just tried it.
HOWEVER - if you reach through the front bumper slot just to the right of and below the bumper light on the passenger side and put your arm in there about 10" there is a steel frame brace with a definite shelf on it where the box DOES fit; I just tried it...

You'll have to feel around for the shelf on the left up in there but its very secure and the box will attach magnetically with no problem. No way its moving around up in that spot.

As to the touch keypad, just call me skeptical about adding any more electrical do-dads onto these cars considering the PATS security system...mess that up and you are in a world of hurt...

Thank u 4 the informative update. I'll check it out this week. "I'll be back"

Back