2002-2005 Battery Dead How do I access it?

To get into the Trunk with a dead battery there is a key slot in back of the Drivers seat on the back wall, Put your ignition key in it and turn. Your Trunk will pot open.
Everyone should periodically check the operation of that method for opening the trunk. The key operates a cable that has become detached in some cars. If that happens, you can access the trunk by removing the panels behind the seats. Another option is to charge via the cigarette lighter.

Cannot open trunk of 2003 Thunderbird.. New battery completely dead. key will not turn in lock behind seat.
Any suggestions?
Key won't turn, or the trunk does not open when you try to turn the key? If the latter, try having someone pull up on the trunk lid while you turn the key. I had this problem, and it worked for me.

When a new lock cylinder is installed, the door lock cylinder and ignition lock cylinder should be installed as a set. That eliminates carrying an extra key which will fit only one lock. At the dealership, when the ignition lock cylinder was installed we were able to build the remaining lock cylinders using the key code number stamped on a metal tag that was attached to the new keys. Sometimes the owner did not want to pay the labor for us to remove the emergency trunk release cylinder to rebuild it, or the technician forgot about the trunk release cylinder.

Removing the emergency trunk release cylinder isn’t hard to do. If I were you I would remove the trunk release cylinder and take it to a locksmith so it can be built to your ignition key.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Trunk Lid Release Lock Removal.jpg
Lock 2.jpg

According to the owner's manual one key operates all of the locks on the vehicle.

Keys.png

If the key does not fit the trunk unlock key socket behind the drivers seat, why don't you remove the trunk release lock from behind the driver's seat? That way you can pull the cable and open the trunk, and also see why the key doesn't go into the lock.

To remove the trunk release lock, remove the components in the order indicated in the illustration and table below.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently purchased tbird with dead battery. Key does not fit the trunk unlock key socket behind the drivers seat. How can the trunk be opened in this situation

Last edited by a moderator:
Back