2002 2003 2004 2005 Washable K&N Premium Cabin Air Filter

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Seems like a good idea to change and clean your cabin air filter often during a pandemic- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEL7IPW/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Buy on Amazon

You could even use a UV light on these to disinfect! I bet someone reading this doesn't even know what I am talking about! Your Air system in your car has an air filter you are supposed to change at least once a year, some people have never changed them!

K&N-Cabin-Filter.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! Just found it. At 25k miles. Must have been changed some, as it was not real dirty...2005 Pacific Coast #221

i changed mine on a 2002 bird with 90K miles this morning...... It was real dark probably never changed before

I received my 2004 Thunderbird 4 days ago and I just finished reading the owner's manual so I can understand all of the features. Looking at the maintenance section I noticed that there isn't any procedure for replacing the cabin air filter, but when I put the VIN in All Data the procedure is explained.

(See attached All Data article)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
16307_3eae2efab6e29ab41f455cd06518db25_1.jpg
16307_3eae2efab6e29ab41f455cd06518db25_2.jpg
16307_3eae2efab6e29ab41f455cd06518db25_3.jpg

16307_3eae2efab6e29ab41f455cd06518db25_4.jpg

Attachments

• Cabin Air Filter.pdf
    141.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
I have done the cabin filter on my 2005 Bird. I did not remove the wipers as it was not an issue. I did go online and buy a small packet of the plastic cowl push-in clips just in case any broke during the R&R process of doing the cabin filter. They are inexpensive and well worth having as heat and age can cause at least one or two clips to crack on you. I started on the passenger side and removed about 5 or 6 clips which was enough to lift up the cowl covering and pull up the filter. Not a difficult task, maybe 20 minutes as I was being careful. If you have a shop vac, clean out the area that where the filter fits into. A drop or 2 of WD-40 on the clips makes a difference. Afterwards you should notice more air volume coming through the AC vents and no foul smells. Small flat head screwdriver should be only tool necessary.

If you want to preserve those clips and make life easier get one of these; if you do your own work you'll use it like crazy on all your modern cars:

The cabin air filter in these cars is a pain to get to - which is why I don't believe mine was ever changed; I did so when I bought the car two years ago and the old filter was impenetrable with filth and leaves.

I replaced the cabin filter and it wasn't difficult at all. As Wildwood pointed out you do not have to remove the wiper arms.

Since the cabin air filter is located on the right side you only have to remove the right cowl side trim. To remove the side trim I slipped a plastic trim tool under the side trim to pop it off. To lift up the cowl vent screen you will have to remove the pin type retainers. No special tool is required to remove the pin type retainers you only have to depress the center of the retainer to disengage it.

After the pin type retainers are removed lift up on the right corner of the cowl vent screen to gain access to the cabin air filter. To remove the cabin air filter, release the clips on the top corners of the air filter and slide the filter upward. To install the cabin air filter, reverse the removal procedure.

The entire job took me less than ten minutes to complete.

See attached pictures.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Right Cowl Side Trim.jpg
Cabin Air Filter.jpgCowl Cover Retainers.jpgCowl Pin Type Retainers Disengaged.JPGCowl Pin Type Retainers Removed.JPGView attachment 16595

Back