2002 2003 2004 2005 Stainless Polished Chrome Hardtop Accent Trim 3 pieces

Ford Thunderbird 02-05 Stainless Polished Chrome Hardtop Accent Trim 3 pieces

View attachment 15808
Does this replace the tape used for hardtop

What is the difference if any between the chrome trim products offered, QAA,SAA, and the one sold by shop USA. There is a big price difference

Has anyone found a U-shape or 'Edge-guard' trim molding for covering the rear hardtop deck? I've looked at the (QAA brand) 3/8" stainless kit but when I pulled the hardtop up, the prior may have never had the thing off? Rubs are down to metal and a paint ridge like it sat on soft paint. I can prime and seal the rubs but would like to hide it as she's basically a top-off car. The damage extends past 3/8 inch where 1/2 to 3/4 width may work? Black or chrome is fine, it's the bending radius on the curves that seem tricky with wider trim.

This is an unknown image (or trim maker) but would be groovy!

289061942_5523617737669777_487689932759860022_n.jpg

Last edited:
I had scratches on my 2002 from the hardtop, if owners don't thouroughly clean the deck before mounting the top then grit captured under the rubber weatherstrip will gradually hurt the paint from vibrations; I went with the thinner rear strip, I think it looks better but, depending on your damage, maybe you need the wider one:

This stainless trim piece is thinner and more subtle and covered most of the damage, I buffed the rest out without issue.
BE AWARE - this stuff is flimsy, you need to support that long center piece carefully during installation to prevent kinks.
Secondly, be VERY careful with the placement of the strips...the stainless edges are somewhat sharp; if you install the pieces right to the edge of the softop storage well the top can get torn or damaged. Place them the slightest bit ouboard of the cavity, testing with your finger to make sure they don't intrude into that space.

Last edited:
... Place them the slightest bit ouboard of the cavity, testing with your finger to make sure they don't intrude into that space.

Great tips with the trim you installed!

I don't quite get the 'slightly outboard' concept? Should the material have an 'L' shape with the sharp leg aimed into the bin, outward would be toward the rear? I would have likely shoved it up tight to the deck lip. Are you bending/forming the thin leg slightly after it's stuck down? The manufacture recommends using abrasive paper to dull the laser-cut edge so yeah, they're razors.

I’m saying don’t put the trim so tightly against the edge where the softtop folds down and has to pass by it that there is contact with the top material

Update including very valuable non-sense:

The IntraWeb says the nifty trim on the black car image doesn't exist today. Basically, a Unicorn to find. There was myth and rumor Ford offered a kit in '03 but thinking that never happened? Reading owners using 'edge-guard or push-on, U-shaped material, there would be issues. The preferred material is PVC or some impervious external material. Chrome body trim molding or wheel liner is micro thin mylar wrapped on the extruded trim. It can tear and wrinkle in a bend radius that's too tight. So cheap and cheerful it is but may fail here?

"L" shaped trim with tape may be the best choice? The lip of the bin has two sections of over molded plastic under the deck near each corner. Push on stuff would have to be relieved or cut to fit over the plastic sections. Not good. L - trim would work and can be found with 3M tape applied. I'm looking for black to extend the line from the cabin doors. They make 1/4" up to 1" width in this PVC stuff. Of course, the thinner the better rounding the two corners.

Options include the stainless 3/8 kit but 1/2+ may cover a bit more of the deck rub. The sides are narrow where too wide would be too weird. Getting that stuff to lay down following the line, in three sections may be doable? I can see it working as desired but not if it looks like a snake trail with waves and wiggles! Not to mention tape sticking like a bugger to attempt any correction. Likely a tear-off and do-over if you get off a tad. The stainless hunks kinda prevent that movie as it's more rigid material when placing. Thinking the L leg may help guide the stuff into following the curves? Not ruling out black PVC quite yet.

Disclaimer: adding any mystery material to the edge is subject to mess with the hardtop seal when its mounted. Has to be thin. I'm solving for the bin edge look as running mostly rag-mode, I'm not concerned about that seal point. The more I look at that edge, the more it demands molding. What was Ford thinking?

Well, the chubby stuff may, might, and possibly be out there! Found below trim images that seemed different. They are a 'new' product from um, a vendor pedaling T-bird-ish specialties kinda products. The cost spanks a $500 bill for the deck and windowsill sections. Only available as a five piece kit. Definity would mask my issues and the cost is close to the 3/8 stuff if you went all around with five sections. Hmmm?

This fat 3/4" looks factory and shoulda been on the cars to begin with! Kind of liking it. Anyone first in?? nuk nuk?? :)

Screenshot 2022-06-23 113752.png

Deluxe-Trim-WS-better-front-Driver-WS.jpeg

Deluxe-Trim-FULL-rear-deck.jpeg

I know for a fact that the fat and thin stainless trim were offered no more than a year ago and either will provide the protection desired, I favor the thin but that's just personal preference. When I bought mine two years ago both choices were available from several sources. The trim is applied with the 3M tape, just like the front and rear bird emblems..

Okay, the mods merged this and linked the business selling both sets. 'Specialties' claim 'they are made for us'. Interesting as I have not spotted the fatty's outside of them and thought maybe they do have exclusive items? Probably not, and not exactly 'new'. Ugh, that company! I couldn't see how the 3/4 could fit along the door sills. The image shows the side is raised up, floating over the factory rubber strip. Tape is only under the part outside the weatherstrip or about 3/8 gripping. Thinking dirt collector and rag grabber?

Back