2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Fuel Pump 4W4Z9H307AA

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
MODERATOR NOTE: You can purchase the main passenger side replacement fuel pump entire assembly here-
2002 model- Purchase link 4W4Z9H307AA -
Click here for eBAY or Amazon- https://amzn.to/2R8yWQK

2003-05 models- Purchase link 3W4Z9H307AC- Click here for eBay or
Click Here for Amazon

2003-2005- 3w4z-9275-ba Fuel Tank Sender Assembly MOTORCRAFT PS-140 Click here for eBay

Optionally you can also replace the 2002-2005 drivers side pump- Click here for eBay or Click Here for Amazon

You will also need to replace your fuel filter https://amzn.to/2GMQhsg

Fuel Pump removal tool also very helpful! https://amzn.to/2J7w5UO

The fuel pump relay is located in fuse/relay module in trunk of car. Fuel pump relay replacement is #AR606.
Click here for eBay

Replacement Video-

fuel-pump-ford-thunderbird.jpg
3w4z-9275-ba.jpg

Last edited:
MODERATOR NOTE: You can purchase the main passenger side replacement fuel pump entire assembly here-
2002 model- Purchase link 4W4Z9H307AA -
Click here for eBAY or Amazon- https://amzn.to/2R8yWQK

2003-05 models- Purchase link 3W4Z9H307AC- Click here for eBay or
Click Here for Amazon

Optionally you can also replace the 2002-2005 drivers side pump https://amzn.to/2PHnbhT

You will also need to replace your fuel filter https://amzn.to/2GMQhsg

Fuel Pump removal tool also very helpful! https://amzn.to/2J7w5UO

Replacement Video-

View attachment 13336
Can anyone share their personal experience with replacing both fuel pumps? The video makes it look extremely difficult!

Hi,
I have a 2004 Thunderbird that needs the Drivers side fuel pump and sending unit replaced. Having trouble locating the part. Any know of a good place to check? The car is only using fuel from one tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I have a 2004 Thunderbird that needs the Drivers side pump and sending unit replaced. Having trouble locating the part. Any know of a good place to check? The car is only using fuel from one tank.
I'm having same issue.....found part 3w4z-9275-ba @ Tasca parts Fuel gauge sending unit.
$76.73 plus I ordered lock ring $11.48 and Gasket $.85....in case I break plastic Lock Ring. I did find a tool to remove Lock Ring from Amazon $20. to make project easier! Good Luck

My 2004 needs a Jet Transfer fuel pump for fuel tank...left side of tank. Does any one have an idea where to find?

My 2004 needs a Jet Transfer fuel pump for fuel tank...left side of tank. Does any one have an idea where to find?
May not be available anymore. Aftermarket it is Motorcraft Fuel Tank Sender Assembly PS-149. It was still available in late 2018 but I see Ford Dealer websites are saying it is discontinued.

May not be available anymore. Aftermarket it is Motorcraft Fuel Tank Sender Assembly PS-149. It was still available in late 2018 but I see Ford Dealer websites are saying it is discontinued.
FYI. The Ford OEM part # is YW4Z-9275-BC. This is for 2002-2005. Also 2003 Lincoln LS. Some dealers may have stock. If available, I'm seein ~$200.

I am in dire need a fuel pump for the drivers side (left side) Ford Part # YW4Z-9275-BC. I understand that Ford does not make this part any longer. So I have been looking on the web and some are available as used. That's okay I guess but not sure of how honest some of the vendors are.......E-Bay seems to have many listed but I don't see the Ford part # referenced at least like the one in this note which is from a Ford Parts Dealer.

If someone has any ideas on a source for this part please share.

Thanks,
Mayoman

Anybody else running into cracked fuel sender?

What are the effects of bad fuel pump diode

How do u keep fuel pump gasket in place, curious are people using glue

Greetings, the trouble started out when we drove the car all day, no issues. Started home and the engine was sputtering a bit and I immediately thought more than one COP died suddenly. Limped it down about 300' and it died altogether. Welp, that probably wasn't a COP issue. Get home, scanned the CEL, P1233.

Checked F7 - good
Checked IFS - not tripped
No fuel at the rail

Had over 1/4 tank of fresh(er) so figured it was the right (passenger) fuel pump. I just didn't feel like troubleshooting any further than that, and figured the pump was probably on borrowed time anyway

Bought a pump and spanner tool from Amazon. Spanner tool is a must to get the fuel pump flange off.

Removal was largely uneventful.

Installation hint: there are two tabs on the top of the fuel pump where the connectors are, those tabs line up squarely with the fuel tank. It took us at least two hours of trying to get that flange together before we realized those tabs and notches needed to be lined up. The flange went back on the first time after that and those tabs and notches help keep the pump from rotating due to the flange being tightened.

Helpful hint: If you're removing the fuel pump (either one), you are in a for penny, in a for a pound and several times my back told me just to remove the front seat to give me some more room. It takes all of 10 minutes to take the seat out, just do it and save yourself a back spasm.

So I do all that, clear the codes, start it up: cranks, no start and CEL is on. Now I am in a pretty bad mental state. Same code: P1233.

I started troubleshooting from the beginning and somewhere, someway, somehow, F17 blew. Replaced that, and the car fired right up.

YMMV.

Good day Gents- I bought a Delphi fuel pump module for my 2002 (passenger side) but noticed it came with a black gasket, not the green gasket which Ive seen on a couple of videos.
My question- Im assuming I need the green gasket- Am I correct?? And FYI- so far Ive gotten to the point of loosening the lock ring- everything up to this point came apart nicely.
Thank You All,
Brock

Good day Gents- I bought a Delphi fuel pump module for my 2002 (passenger side) but noticed it came with a black gasket, not the green gasket which Ive seen on a couple of videos.
My question- Im assuming I need the green gasket- Am I correct?? And FYI- so far Ive gotten to the point of loosening the lock ring- everything up to this point came apart nicely.
Thank You All,
Brock
Hey Brock, I just replaced this assembly the other day and ended up using the new black gasket that was supplied. Everything went together with no problems.

I have a 2004 T-bird. I am having a hard time finding a sender unit for the fuel gauge. It is not the one attached to the fuel pump it is the second one. Part # is CFT40.
Does any one know where I might be able to find this part?
I have a 2002 in the same predicament. Cannot find any replacement part for the left side fuel tank sending unit. Please let me know if you find anything.

Is the fuel tank sending unit rebuildable? Can I just replace the filter and assume it is working well. Is there a way to bench test the unit?

I have a 2002 in the same predicament. Cannot find any replacement part for the left side fuel tank sending unit. Please let me know if you find anything.

Is the fuel tank sending unit rebuildable? Can I just replace the filter and assume it is working well. Is there a way to bench test the unit?
You're talking about drivers side? Drivers side doesn't use an electric pump. It's a passive system that uses the flow of fuel from pass side electric pump to transfer fuel from drivers side tank to pass side tank. Other than the fuel level float mechanism, it shouldn't go bad.

Back