2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird Electric & Manual Hardtop Hoists

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm attempting to gather hardtop hoist parts here, if you have any additional recommendations, please reply with your purchase links, part numbers, etc.

1- 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird Manual Top Hoist- Purchase Link

2- 2002-2005 Electric Hoist- https://amzn.to/2vjfwAK
3- Hardtop Stand- https://amzn.to/3cUeg89

There is a discussion here about various methods- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/need-help-building-a-hoist-for-the-hardtop.3790 and also here.

manual-hardtop-hoist.jpgelectric-hoist.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,
I purchased an E-Z TOP Hard Top Hoist for my 2002 T-bird shortly after I bought the bird. It is an electric hoist and works well for one person to remove and re-install the top. I am moving to a place that has an unattached carport with no electricity. Is there a way to convert this electric hoist to a manual one with a wench? Or do I need to be in the market for a new hoist or an electrician? Of course the company is no longer in business...at least under that name.

LynnPenn

Has anyone any experience with the hard top hoist from Top- Hoist or similar? Anticipating purchase in a few weeks.... Appreciate any info.

I have their "rope hoist" - totally manual.

The 6 groove pulleys give enough mechanical advantage that lowering/raising the top can be done with one hand while the other guides the process. It makes the top R&R a one man job..the foam bar and rear hooks cause NO distortion or damage to weatherstripping or seals, and, living in Florida the top is on the hoist for months at a time.

The only tricky thing is to make sure those rear hooks are firmly pressed onto the rear top's lower metal edge all the way and not hooked on the rubber weatherstrip by mistake. Putting a little tension on the system while you push them in ensures a tight fit. You will need to do a "one time" adjustment of the straps so that the top is held level when aloft as shown in the picture - then setting the top on the car is drama free. Just stoop over a bit and make sure the rear guide pins go in properly and the rest is a breeze.
IMG_1606.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
It looks like that is only a screw hook in the ceiling, is there more there than meets the eye? What would you estimate the top to weight? I am very interested in this product.

Thanks,
Jerry Moore '03

I believe the top only weighs 86#. I am also in the process of installing lift. I have installed a manual boat crank from HF to the wall, and have a heavy eye bolt in the ridge beam of my ceiling, with a simple pully setup for the wire rope on the crank setup. Haven't yet decided on the actual top holder, but leaning toward using simple soft lifting straps.

Love to see pics if anyone has done this.

I am looking for advice on the best way to install an electric hoist for the hard top, as well as recommendations for the best brand of hoist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back