1992 5.0 Manual Swap Questions

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
FrostRPMs
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I can't really seem to find anything on this on here, but again I'm new and probably don't know how to fine search the subject at hand.
Was wondering if the T5 would be a direct bolt up and my easiest option for a manual swap on my 1992 5.0. Found a how to post with all the needed items and it mentions the M5R2 tranny from the SC. (The crossed out section, I didn't notice at first but it was a post specifically for the SC, so don't know if the M5R2 will actually bolt up to the 5.0, website i'm looking to buy from says it fits a 5.0, but I still can't piece together how much work I'm diving into) Didn't know if the T5 would be an easier/better option or if i should go with exactly what this says.
UPDATE
I looked around a lot more. This is the post I'm going off of for the swap I believe it is directed at the automatic super coupe to manual SC conversion, but from a little other digging around I've found the M5R2 should also fit the 5.0, correct me if I'm wrong of course. (I'm pretty invested on the M5R2 working at this point, already located a majority of the parts the post i linked says I need) The one thing that really has me stumped is the wiring harness bit. This is my first car with OBD1, and I'm in the dark due to the lack of knowledge on them. My understanding is they act similar to that of an OBD2, but how would I get my current ECU to recognize that I'm in charge of shifting points rather than itself. It feels a lot easier with, of course cars like Honda because this is done every day, but the Tbird is a rarity compared to a Civic. Also because there are ECUs for manual Civics because well... those exist from factory, unlike the Tbird (other than SC) and then again a little stumped on finding an ideal driveshaft to be put on my car due to me never doing this before, and me not wanting to spend an unnecessary amount of money on a "performance" driveshaft. Not looking to build a crazy amount of power rn, just looking to simply swap the existing transmission into something a bit more enjoyable to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy bought one that it was done too. Driveshaft original but slightly long. Harness wise should be able to use foxbody mustang harness

My buddy bought one that it was done too. Driveshaft original but slightly long. Harness wise should be able to use foxbody mustang harness
Went on another forum and found someone selling literally everything I need except for the clutch pedal assembly, all for only $1,100, including a SC driveshaft.

Back