1986 Thunderbird Runaway Cruise Control

D

daytonthunderbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased a 1986 Thunderbird Elan with the 5.0L engine. On the drive bringing it home, I tried to set the cruise control and was not very successful. Every time I tried to set it, it would not stop accelerating. I tried at different speeds, with the same results. At one time when I tried to set it at 60 MPH, it kept rapidly accelerating all the way up to 80 MPH. What should I look at to resolve this issue? I rely on cruise a lot, and the 250 mile trip was not as enjoyable as it could have been.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just purchased a 1986 Thunderbird Elan with the 5.0L engine. On the drive bringing it home, I tried to set the cruise control and was not very successful. Every time I tried to set it, it would not stop accelerating. I tried at different speeds, with the same results. At one time when I tried to set it at 60 MPH, it kept rapidly accelerating all the way up to 80 MPH. What should I look at to resolve this issue? I rely on cruise a lot, and the 250 mile trip was not as enjoyable as it could have been.
clean butterfly in throttle body, due to large amounts of buildup in housing and butteryfly will cause more air intake like you are pushing on pedal.

Clean all the stuff with carb cleaner and make sure you're return spring isn't wearing out or loose. Maybe tighten it up a bit

Check the switches on the steering wheel, the set/Accel may be sticking.

Back