1978-Gas Tank Removal

L

Lliamiskool

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, I am fixing up a thunderbird, and I do not know all too much about cars-especially antiques. I need to remove the gas tank. I removed the fuel line near the bottom on the driver's side that (I presume) goes to the engine. After removing the straps from the back, I can move the gas tank- it is not stuck. The only problem I have is that the fill-tube going from the drivers side, through the trunk, and into the top of the engine is still attached. I removed 4 bolts holding it in place from inside the compartment where you would fill the gas tank, but that did not help. Any ideas? Thank you and anything would be appreciated. Have a good day

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There's usually a big clamp that clamps it to the tank. Take that clamp off and twist back and forth while pulling up on it.

If its anything like my 69 then the fuel filler neck is pushed into the tank. At that spot there is a big rubber gasket. You will really have to work it back it forth as over the years the filler neck may have swelled due to corrosion and became stuck in it.

Back