1977 Driver Door Shaking When Closed

• Thread starter Jade Seventy Seven
  • Start date
Jade Seventy Seven

Jade Seventy Seven

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi. When the driver door on my 1977 Thunderbird door is firmly closed it tends to rattle a bit with the window down as though it's not firmly latched in place. It lines up fine and the movement is not noticed when the window is fully closed since it creates a tight fit all around. The car only has 29,000 miles on it. I also have to give it a good wack to close it entirely as well.

Any ideas? Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check to see if there are worn or missing bushings in the hinges or the door strike post and/or latch. Compare the drivers side to the passenger side to see if you’re missing bushings on the drivers door.

Hi. I believe I checked all of that already but I'll check again. Just got the car about three months ago so I'm just waiting for the nice weather to give it a full examination. Thanks!

Hi. When the driver door on my 1977 Thunderbird door is firmly closed it tends to rattle a bit with the window down as though it's not firmly latched in place. It lines up fine and the movement is not noticed when the window is fully closed since it creates a tight fit all around. The car only has 29,000 miles on it. I also have to give it a good wack to close it entirely as well.

Any ideas? Thanks!
is it the door that's loose or the window? if it's the door ,open it , put a pair of vise grips on the round part that the door latch closes on to . Loosen it by turning it counter clockwise . it will slide in and out. That's your door adjustment. push it back towards the inner of the car and tighten it up. See if the door latches and feels tight. If not, untighten the round piece and try to adjust it again. Slide it out and it will loosen the door. Slide it in to tighten up the door

Last edited:
It might be something rattling inside your door panel by the window. Maybe 1 of the bolts fell out of the rails that hold the window glass in place

Back