1974 Seatbelt Interlock Help

zacek
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey all,

I've been noticing I've had trouble starting my car once in a while, my starter is brand new, and while digging through the owner's manual (yes, I still have the OEM one!), I noticed something called the "Seatbelt Starter Interlock", which they only did in the 1974 models and some 1975s. Usually right after I run into somewhere real quick and go to start my car back up, making sure to buckle my seatbelt and that there's nothing in the passenger seat to give a false reading, the car doesn't start. I've tried hitting the emergency override button, but that doesn't seem to work either. I was trying for about 45 minutes to get my car started this afternoon, and it only turned over after I disconnected the negative battery cable and put it back on. (Although knowing my luck, this was just a coincidence.)

Do you guys have any information on how to disable the seatbelt interlock system so I don't have to worry about it? I tried doing some Google-fu and ended up getting nowhere.

Thanks for all of your help guys,

-Matt

Include the model year of your car in the subject of your post (as it instructs). I added for you. Thanks for posting.

When I was a kid in the 70s I made a few dollars bypassing those locks. If you can find a connector(s) associated with the seat belts you can try unplugging them. If the car still won't start try jumpering the two sides of the connector together. They were pretty simple circuits back then.

Seat belts? What is this? Nahh... just tuck them under the seat and don't worry about it hehe.

Might be the neutral safety switch acting up. Try starting it in neutral when it won't start . If it starts it's the neutral safety switch on the steering column

Back