1971 Gas tank repair/replacement

bcool
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good Morning everyone! Looking for solutions to a 71 fuel tank with 6 to 8 pinholes. I patched three lower ones but it leaked higher up, so I removed the tank and when looking inside I see several more pinholes shining sun in the tank. Of course it is rusty inside. Should I patch the remaining holes and do the cleaning, sealant repair? Is there a new tank option?
I inherited it from my Dad in 2003 and he had owned it since '72 with 82,000 documented miles.
Thanks! Barron

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good Morning everyone! Looking for solutions to a 71 fuel tank with 6 to 8 pinholes. I patched three lower ones but it leaked higher up, so I removed the tank and when looking inside I see several more pinholes shining sun in the tank. Of course it is rusty inside. Should I patch the remaining holes and do the cleaning, sealant repair? Is there a new tank option?
I inherited it from my Dad in 2003 and he had owned it since '72 with 82,000 documented miles.
Thanks! You can get a New Tank from Mac’s

Thanks! Barron
I have a brand new one if interested.....darrenvo@****************

Thanks! Barron
I sent the tank to Moyer’s tank repair and it came back cleaned out and sealed inside and out. I installed all new rubber grommets and quad rings, installed and filled with twenty four gallons of premium and it’s a success! Not a drop of gas anywhere. I had my doubts as there are four or five holes manufactured into the tank and the metal seemed mighty thin in places but hasn’t leaked a drop in several weeks.
thanks for the help!
Barron

Thanks! Barron
I'm curious what material you used to patch the holes. I have an 2004 with a leak at the pump hose seal. We tried a 2 part epoxy that worked for 2 months but now I smell gas when I fill it again.

I'm curious what material you used to patch the holes. I have an 2004 with a leak at the pump hose seal. We tried a 2 part epoxy that worked for 2 months but now I smell gas when I fill it again.
SAMD6, I don’t recall the brand but it was specifically labeled gas tank repair and I think I got it at Advance Auto. It did seal the holes until I decided that the tank just had too many holes and was rusted too thin. I didn’t have the opportunity to see if it held up for the long run though. Good luck!

Back