1971 brake fluid levels & bleeding

rudesmen
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
non
Hi
I need to change brake fluid but dont know what buy. DOT3 was originally?
And second question. In resevuar fluid should be only in one chamber?
IMG_20201230_210619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I need to change brake fluid but dont know what buy. DOT3 was originally?
And second question. In resevuar fluid should be only in one chamber?
Regular Dot3 is fine. Both chambers should be full. Front chamber is for the rear brakes, rear chamber is for front brakes. Check all 4 4 wheels for leaking wheel cylinders. Check along the Dr side frame rail for leaks in the brake lines. Check where the master cylinder bolts up to the brake booster and make sure brake fluid isn't leaking out from behind the master cylinder. If it is it's a bad master cylinder. If you have to bleed the system let me know I have a different and better way to bleed them

A new way for a lot of you to do your brake bleeding from now on.
I know a lot of you are still doing the old fashioned way of having someone pump up the brakes while you bleed the wheel cylinders & keep repeating this process to no avail sometimes.
Get yourself a clear pop bottle or jar so you can see through it.
Get yourself 12-16 piece of rubber hose that fits snugly over the wheel cylinder bleeder nipple.
You might have to make it longer if needed
Loosen up the wheel cylinder bleeder but slightly unloosening & tightening it until it's loose. Don't just crank on it and break it.
Make sure the master cylinder if kept full during this process.
Fill the bottle or jar up half way with brake fluid.
Put the rubber hose on wheel cylinder bleeder nipple & the other end down into the brake fluid of bottle or jar.
Unloosen the wheel cylinder bleeder
Have some one pump up the brake pedal slowly & smoothly until all the air bubbles are gone & only brake fluid is coming through the line.
Tighten the Wheel cylinder bleeder
Do this to all 4 brake wheel cylinders & you will have no air in your brake system

Try it next time & give me your feedback

What is the way you bleed them?
Sorry I was away on Vacation and couldn't respond to you. Good luck. Let me know if it works

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I was away on Vacation and couldn't respond to you. Good luck. Let me know if it works
Thank you for the tips! I’m not quit there yet to go through the brake systems but I’m taking and compiling notes to use while I’m working on this bird. Basically you’re saying to create an “air lock” with brake fluid while bleeding your brakes, I think. Which is a great idea. Thanks again!

It just uses the pressure from the master cylinder to force brake fluid through the lines and out the bleeder nipples pushing out all the air in the process. When there's no more air bubbles just brake fluid coming out tighten the bleeder nipple and it should be good to go

Back