1969 Thunderbird Tilt-away steering

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am looking for the check valve for the power booster for my 1969 Thunderbird. My car had a double ported check valve on the power booster. One was for engine vacuum for the booster itself and another was for the tilt-away steering. This was the one on the car.
check valve 2.jpg check valve.jpg
Removing this obviously disables the system. I tried from earlier models of Tbird, but the design is completely different and will not fit. So if I cannot find a replacement is there a way to still somehow actuate this system? Some other way to hook engine vaccum back up to it so it works?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It wouldn't be pretty but you could make a temporary setup to at least keep it working until you locate a proper replacement. Can you tee off the booster and put a check valve in-line off of the two open ports of the tee? I just don't know how strong of a check valve you would use.

It wouldn't be pretty but you could make a temporary setup to at least keep it working until you locate a proper replacement. Can you tee off the booster and put a check valve in-line off of the two open ports of the tee? I just don't know how strong of a check valve you would use.
Well I am assuming the system used as much vacuum as the brake booster since they are both hooked into the same check valve. I believe there is a second check valve just for the tilt-away steering as well.

Check mustang and cougar sites, I’m fairly certain cougars used a similar check valve

Check mustang and cougar sites, I’m fairly certain cougars used a similar check valve
Already checked West Coast Cougars sight and nada. Cougar seemingly uses a different check valve as well as the Mustang. Thunderbird for the 1967-1969 year is pretty much ignored.

Last edited:
I searched so many places and many don't even know what I am asking for. Most just give me a single port check valve which does work (for the brake booster), but then I have to block off the port for the tilt-away. I mean having the brake booster working is more desirable, but I really would like the tilt away to work as well.

Back