1969 Thunderbird ignition system questions

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Okay so I have been reading around and I am wondering does my car also need to bypass some resistor in the ignition system? I keep reading there there is some 6volt resistor or something and I need to bypass it. Is this true? And if so where would it be located?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Also for the distributor itself. I pulled the old one out and dropped In the new one, but I did make sure to reference the location of the rotor before putting in the new one. Can I just now drop the new one in (so long as the rotor lines up on he mark I made) and start the car to get it properly timed? Or is the something else I need to do?

Hey OAO. Older cars have resistor wiring in the ignition circuit. The wire from the ignition switch to the + terminal on the coil provides power when the car is running, and that wire is resistor wiring to reduce the amount of volts reaching the coil. I don't know if your '69 has that but you could probably tell in a jiffy if you have a manual that provides an overview of how the ignition system works. If it does have resistor wiring, then you would want to bypass that wiring so that the coil is getting the full 12 volts it deserves and needs to light off the fuel mix. If you do need to do that, MSD may sell a power relay you could use. I know Pertronix has one because I installed it on my '64.

I've not replaced a disty in a Ford before (just lucky I guess) but what you describe is how it should work. When you drop the new one in, you want to make sure the gear on the bottom of the disty shaft is meshing in with the gear on the camshaft, and when she's all the way in and the rotor is pointing at the register mark, then you should be good to go to start it up and check initial timing.

Doug

Okay so according to this (finally found them), You are correct and there's a resistance wire in the ignition. I guess just take it out?
Wiring Diagram 1.jpg

Okay so according to this (finally found them), You are correct and there's a resistance wire in the ignition. I guess just take it out?
View attachment 4030
No, recommend you blow $30 more of your hard earned $ on a power relay. However, nothing stopping you from firing it up in the meantime, it just won’t have as much vim and vigor as it will have once the coil is getting full juice.

Suggest calling MSD to see what they say and have available.

Pertronix power relay PN is 2001.

Doug

Last edited:
No, recommend you blow $30 more of your hard earned $ on a power relay. However, nothing stopping you from firing it up in the meantime, it just won’t have as much vim and vigor as it will have once the coil is getting full juice.

Suggest calling MSD to see what they say and have available.

Pertronix power relay PN is 2001.

Doug
Well shoot... Now I have to put back together the jumbled mess in my interior.

I've always referred to left over parts as "hudnuts". Not sure where that term came from...

The nice thing about the power relay is it installs cleanly and you don't have to modify your stock wiring. I think you'll be pretty happy with it. Here's a pic:

upload_2019-5-24_8-58-58.png

Back