1969 Thunderbird hard starting

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just got done installing the Pertronix conversion into my 1969 Thunderbird. However now the car is really hard to start. Cranks real slow and takes quite a few cranks to get the car to start. Even then after it starts it runs really rough. What could be my problem? I guess my first guess would be engine timing. However I loosened the bolt and the darn distributor is stuck and will not turn. Oh and also the vacuum advance canister was changed as well.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Also I want to mention that when I was changing the fuel pump I noticed that the timing chain itself felt like it had a little slack in it. Now the one side of the chain has some slack in it right? I think one side has a slight amount of slack while the other side is tight.

Hi OAO. The slack in the timing chain is normal, tensioner may need adjusting but not related to starting issue. Rough running wouldn’t be related to timing. I’m wondering if the Pertronix might be defective? Slow cranking is either a low battery or worn starter, for example worn commutator brushes. Doug

Hi OAO. The slack in the timing chain is normal, tensioner may need adjusting but not related to starting issue. Rough running wouldn’t be related to timing. I’m wondering if the Pertronix might be defective? Slow cranking is either a low battery or worn starter, for example worn commutator brushes. Doug
Well before the Pertronix the car would start fine cold. Once warm it would struggle, like slow but would start. Now it just feels like its missing or not in the right place to start I guess? It's like rir... rir... rir... rir... sometimes it does this for awhile then POP! Starts up and runs, but seems like its off. Now I replaced the old vacuum advance and man it was toast. Like the rubber diaphragm was so dry rotted it just crumbled to dust. As mentioned the distributor is stuck and I cannot turn it. Loosened the bolt and tried to turn it, but man it was stuck fast!

The way you described slow start sounds like timing too advanced. Not sure how much force you can use to twist the disty without breaking it. But why not check initial advance with a timing light to see where it is set?

The way you described slow start sounds like timing too advanced. Not sure how much force you can use to twist the disty without breaking it. But why not check initial advance with a timing light to see where it is set?
Heh... Never used a timing light in my life yet. I did clean off the marks on the pulley and marked TDC in white paint, but when I tried using one I just felt lost and couldn't really see anything or didn't know what I was looking at. Though maybe the timing was thrown off so much due to a faulty vacuum advance? Maybe its time I get a new distributor and just replace the one that is stuck. I know its made of aluminum so I'll be extra careful when I try and twist it out. Though thank god for Ford and putting the distributor in the front. My last car was a Trans Am and the nightmares of trying to muck around with that distributor on a SBC...

Hey OAO. Vacuum advance vacuum should be disconnected. Make a mark in a different color at 10 degrees BTDC on the damper. Connect timing light to #1 spark plug wire, start engine. At idle, timing mark should be close to the pointer. May be nothing wrong with your disty other than it’s stuck.

Doug

Did you by chance remove or replace any plug wires? Are you sure that they are all routed to the correct plug from the correct dist cap terminal? Is the coil to dist wire in good condition?

Did you by chance remove or replace any plug wires? Are you sure that they are all routed to the correct plug from the correct dist cap terminal? Is the coil to dist wire in good condition?
All plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor are new. I replaced everything and before I put the pertronix in was running fine with no issues. Well maybe the points and condenser. After Pertronix install and the new vacuum advance can its been hard to start.

Hey OAO. Vacuum advance vacuum should be disconnected. Make a mark in a different color at 10 degrees BTDC on the damper. Connect timing light to #1 spark plug wire, start engine. At idle, timing mark should be close to the pointer. May be nothing wrong with your disty other than it’s stuck.

Doug
Ah okay I didn't know that. I had left the vacuum advance on when checking the timing. Should I turn the engine to TDC before starting to check?

Oh it's a shame too all this has happened. I just got my air cleaner back from having it sand blasted and powder coated. All Shiny and new!
Air Cleaner.jpg
I tell ya its other parts getting jealous thats why! They saw the air cleaner and got pissed so they stopped working!

No, just start and idle the engine, then check initial timing with vacuum advance disconnected.

Oh it's a shame too all this has happened. I just got my air cleaner back from having it sand blasted and powder coated. All Shiny and new!
View attachment 3975
I tell ya its other parts getting jealous thats why! They saw the air cleaner and got pissed so they stopped working![/QUOTE
The air cleaner is setting a high bar for everything else!

Last edited:
Did you pull yours out now ? What made it stop going ?
Nothing made the distributor stop, but i just wanted something new and also better than the original which was in the car for more than forty years now. The original one is still stuck in the engine and will not turn at all. So I am still trying to get it out. Also getting it out may not be pretty, so I am just going to replace it.

Okay so I am just going to replace the distributor. It's been in the car for more than 30 years so might as well get something better. I was thinking the MSD ready to run distributor. What are your guys opinions?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8350/overview/year/1969/make/ford/model/thunderbird
Nothing made the distributor stop, but i just wanted something new and also better than the original which was in the car for more than forty years now. The original one is still stuck in the engine and will not turn at all. So I am still trying to get it out. Also getting it out may not be pretty, so I am just going to replace it.
Try applying penetrating oil, tap it and twist on it some with channel locks, work it up and down. It should come out.

Try applying penetrating oil, tap it and twist on it some with channel locks, work it up and down. It should come out.
That’s the plan. I brought it home from the storage I keep it in (made a nasty noise from the starter when I started it), and the sprayed around the distributor base with a liberal amount of oil. Will let it sit for a day and see if I can get it loose. Still... I am not worried about it and I am still going to swap it with the new one. Next is a new performance intake and carb. The original intake is pretty pitted from age and has a lot of those extra ports for emissions on it. Most are plugged, but I just want a cleaner looking top of the motor. The end goal really is to get and even one horsepower per cube. Something I am working up to over time.

Back