1969 Tbird new distributor

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Okay so I went and picked up a new distributor and coil. First time installing one so any tips for instillation? I hear the distributor also drives the oil pump. Is it difficult to get it in? I am guessing the hardest part is getting it aligned properly. As of now all I have done is cleaned off the crank pulley so I can clearly see the timing marks. What is the timing for a Ford 460?

Okay so I went and picked up a new distributor and coil. First time installing one so any tips for instillation? I hear the distributor also drives the oil pump. Is it difficult to get it in? I am guessing the hardest part is getting it aligned properly. As of now all I have done is cleaned off the crank pulley so I can clearly see the timing marks. What is the timing for a Ford 460?

Depends on the year of engine. 1074 was 10 degrees BTDC and 1975 was 14 degrees BTDC. Do you know what year engine you have? I can attach a copy from one of my old manuals showing tune up specifications.

D9TE-AB is ths block casting number. That's about all I can give you on anything relate

New Distributor is in, but now a few issue have come up. One the original air cleaner no longer fits, two the plug wires I got are not going to work with the new distributor (should have figured that), and third the breather cap on the valve cover now needs a replacement. I should have expected this going in. Oh well... time to get another air cleaner and some new plug wires.
distributor.jpg

Last edited:
Also the oil pump pickup rod is an 11/32 size socket or nut driver (for anyone that needs to know). I was able to use a piece of tubing to set the oil pickup rod back into the pump then used the 11/32 nut driver to turn the pump until the distributor would slide onto it and into place. Now however I need new plug wires as the ones I got are a different design. The old cap used a push in type plug wire, where as the new distributor needs a snap on type of plug wire. So think of the cap to be like the plugs themselves.

OAO, does your new disty have an internal coil or is it separate from the disty?

Also the oil pump pickup rod is an 11/32 size socket or nut driver (for anyone that needs to know). I was able to use a piece of tubing to set the oil pickup rod back into the pump then used the 11/32 nut driver to turn the pump until the distributor would slide onto it and into place. Now however I need new plug wires as the ones I got are a different design. The old cap used a push in type plug wire, where as the new distributor needs a snap on type of plug wire. So think of the cap to be like the plugs themselves.
Recommend going with MSD or equivalent 8.5mm high conductivity spark plug wires. Might as well let all that good juice make it to the plugs:) You may be able to open up the gaps on your plugs as well.

OAO, does your new disty have an internal coil or is it separate from the disty?
Oh I have the new coil too. MSD blaster 2 coil. I just didn't have it installed yet.
Distributor 2.jpg
I agree on the wires you suggested. Already ordered along with a new air cleaner and breather cap. Since the old air cleaner is not going to fit anymore. Shame really after I got it all cleaned up. Oh well... lol anyone need a newly painted air cleaner housing?

Oh I have the new coil too. MSD blaster 2 coil. I just didn't have it installed yet.
View attachment 4017
I agree on the wires you suggested. Already ordered along with a new air cleaner and breather cap. Since the old air cleaner is not going to fit anymore. Shame really after I got it all cleaned up. Oh well... lol anyone need a newly painted air cleaner housing?
Nice! This is the setup I was considering but instead went with the Pertronix in the stock distributor, mainly because I'm naturally lazy. This setup should be great, looking forward to hearing how many feet of scratch you can lay down:)

View attachment 4017
If it was a stock air cleaner assembly, that's no great loss. They're cleverly designed to restrict the flow of air into the engine.

Runs nice now. But this thing looks biiiiig
Yup, that's the thing about some of the HEI distys, they do stick way up. I'm sure there is a version with more of less the same physical profile as the stock disty, at least there ought to be!

Yup, that's the thing about some of the HEI distys, they do stick way up. I'm sure there is a version with more of less the same physical profile as the stock disty, at least there ought to be!
It does stick up a bit high. High enough it just touches the underside of the hood. I am going to put a little white lithium grease on top of the distributor to see where it touches the hood then “modify” the underside skin a bit so it doesn’t touch it. Hood still closes find now though. I think it’s just that old insulation shoot on the underside of the hood. Other than that the car runs really good. A much better improvement over the old obsolete points system.

Though it seems all the newer distributors sit as this height. Well the performance aftermarket ones. I guess this is to makes it easier to fit in many different applications. As I said before it fits pretty much fine other than the stock aor cleaner assembly not fitting. Though got another air cleaner at the local auto parts store for $30. Fits just fine Now look at the air cleaner I got there. I am taking it to my local powder coating place and having it done in ford blue, and I am going to get another 460 sticker for it. Also I picked up a K&N element to go with this setup. So it will look good and give me a bit of hp to boot!

Attachments

• A0FE0D1C-8AF1-4A55-928C-92802FABEBC7.jpeg
    A0FE0D1C-8AF1-4A55-928C-92802FABEBC7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • BEE973AD-5805-47AD-AAA8-184A852F8918.jpeg
    BEE973AD-5805-47AD-AAA8-184A852F8918.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Yeah a lot of that stuff is gone on mine. A/C, air Cleaner etc... my car also has the cruise control in it. Though that’s coming out too along with the a/c condenser and all the vacuum tanks I can rip out if I don’t need them. I want this old girl to be some real mean muscle. Lay down a line of rubber if you will.

Though it seems all the newer distributors sit as this height. Well the performance aftermarket ones. I guess this is to makes it easier to fit in many different applications. As I said before it fits pretty much fine other than the stock aor cleaner assembly not fitting. Though got another air cleaner at the local auto parts store for $30. Fits just fine Now look at the air cleaner I got there. I am taking it to my local powder coating place and having it done in ford blue, and I am going to get another 460 sticker for it. Also I picked up a K&N element to go with this setup. So it will look good and give me a bit of hp to boot!
Lookin' spanky, OAO!

I like freeing up an engine to run as best it can as a stock engine. So less restriction/better flow of air into the engine, better ignition to light off the air/gas mix, and less restriction/better flow of exhaust out of the engine. That's usually where I stop, although I understand the attraction of changing out the heads, cam etc.

One additional thing you could look at if you feel the engine needs it is to change the power valve in the carb to a higher or lower number valve. That changes when the valve opens up to dump more gas into the carb throat.

Doug

Back