1969 - Putting an Edelbrock 1406 on the 429

RichV13

RichV13

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Today was supposed to be a straight forward take the Autolite 4300 off, put the Edelbrock 1406 on. I watched the videos from Edelbrock, bought all of the accessory sets etc. The only thing I didn't do was measure the width of the two carburetors. The Edelbrock is wider by an inch overall and about 1-1/2" if measured from the throttle linkage to centerline of Carb as compared to the 4300.

The other issue I ran into is that the throttle linkage sits lower on the Edelbrock vs the 4300, without the heat spacer I bought, it interfered on the intake manifold. I pulled a spacer out from under the 4300, which is where/how they ran the PCV connection. Clever actually, no carb re-design needed, just add the spacer. With the Edelbrock Spacer in, I can move the linkage freely, but haven't connected the throttle cable, which I see as much more straight forward than the kickdown linkage from the transmission. Remember that wider issue I wrote about above?

Has anyone put a 1406 on their 429 engine? Did you have similar issues? How did you resolve? I have to wait until Monday to call the Edelbrock Tech Support, which was quite helpful in answering a previous question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm getting ready to tear into the top end of my 429 due to a failed lifter. I'm considering going to that same intake.

What is the size of the spacer? Half inch? I currently use the factory air cleaner. Do you think I'll have clearance issues?

I'm getting ready to tear into the top end of my 429 due to a failed lifter. I'm considering going to that same intake.

What is the size of the spacer? Half inch? I currently use the factory air cleaner. Do you think I'll have clearance issues?
Spacer I believe was a half inch one. As for the air cleaner. I am pretty sure the additional height of the intake plus carburetor/spacer will not let you use the factory one. The Edelbrock intake sits a bit higher than the factory one. Which I will say is a very heavy boat anchor in weight. I believe the issue with the factory air cleaner is its taller than an aftermarket one.

Back