1969 Oil pressure gauge not reading

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Okay so the other day while taking my 1969 Tbird to work My oil pressure gauge flatlined. Pulled over and checked the oil level and general engine condition (looked for leaks, noise and whatnot). So after seeing the engine itself was alright I guessed it was the gauge itself that is faulty. Sometimes it works, while most of the time it just doesn't. What could be my problem? All the other gauges work fine so and I just changed the oil sending unit so what else could it be? Perhaps a faulty sending unit perhaps? Or something in the gauge itself?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year of your car when posted in the subject. I've added for you. Thanks for posting.

Okay so the other day while taking my 1969 Tbird to work My oil pressure gauge flatlined. Pulled over and checked the oil level and general engine condition (looked for leaks, noise and whatnot). So after seeing the engine itself was alright I guessed it was the gauge itself that is faulty. Sometimes it works, while most of the time it just doesn't. What could be my problem? All the other gauges work fine so and I just changed the oil sending unit so what else could it be? Perhaps a faulty sending unit perhaps? Or something in the gauge itself?
Might be the gauge itself. I just bid and won all the gauges for my 67 on EBAY for $45.00

Going to perform an oil pressure test today on the car. I picked up a tester. I already checked the gauge with a current tested and I am getting the 12 volt signal pulses from the gauge when the key is set in the accessory on position. Now just going to see what the actual oil pressure is now.

Sounds like you are on the right track and most likely this is a gauge or sensor issue. Like they say, the oil pump is the best lubricated part of the engine.

Got the oil pressure tester on it. At idle on a cold start pressure was 65psi. Once it got warm it hovered around 60ish while idling.

That sounds great. I don't know what spec for oil pressure is but that is more than adequate to lubricate your engine. If the oil pressure gauge is mechanical then there will be an oil pressure line running from the engine up to the gauge, not much to go wrong there I wouldn't think. If the gauge is electrical, then it will either be the sensor at the engine or the gauge itself.

I think the problem was the wire itself. I took the end connector and cleaned out the inside and squeezed it a little bit so it would grip the end of the sending unit better. Gauge is reading much better now. Oh and apparently for this engine which to my knowledge is now a 460 from the original 429 (same motor really the 385 series) 65psi at cold start is normal. 60 psi at a warm idle is also normal as well.

Well... judging from the block casting numbers its a 460 block. Probably out of a truck I would say. Not sure about the rest of the engine. D9TE-AB is the block casting number. There is a lot of mismatch parts on it from various years. Still has points on it as well, and I know a late 70's/ early 80's era engine probably ran off electronic ignition than points. Come next year going to have the engine torn down so I can really find out just what I got.

Back