1969 Ford Thunderbird Speed odometer cable problems at 50MPH

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My speed odometer cable is acting up when going above 50mph. It just starts to wave back and forward. I think I am going to need a replacement. Is any still available? Also my car has cruise control, but its no longer hooked up. Can I just get a normal speed odometer cable shared by other cars of that era? Say Galaxie or Torino? I am sure they all used the same engine and trans in specific applications. C6 and the 429 with a console shift.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My speed odometer cable is acting up when going above 50mph. It just starts to wave back and forward. I think I am going to need a replacement. Is any still available? Also my car has cruise control, but its no longer hooked up. Can I just get a normal speed odometer cable shared by other cars of that era? Say Galaxie or Torino? I am sure they all used the same engine and trans in specific applications. C6 and the 429 with a console shift.

Just a idea---Check on Ebay & you may find a Cable. Also, check Rock Auto. I have a 1981 Ford T-Bird & when I need
parts, this is what I do.

Bob Riley

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find vintage / classic Ford Thunderbird Parts on eBAY

Nah... Nothing on Rock Auto either. I also already tried ebay and it doesn't really give you an idea. Just a random bunch of speedo cables from various cars. I did however find one from a Torino for the C6 trans. Wondering if its the same. My car has the cruise control, but its no longer working. It's been disconnected for quite some time, and I am just going to rip it out. I am hoping just a regular speedo from like a Torino or Galaxie would suffice.

Did you contact @tbirdjims to see if he had one?

Back