1969 Automatic Window Motor

kittycat-girl

kittycat-girl

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My husband gifted me a 1969 Ford Thunderbird - just got it back from a full tune up and the car is in amazing driving conditions! I love driving her but there are already some thing that dont work fully.

The automatic window opener is only working at the passenger side (and even that one only sometimes) The driver side does not open at all. I know my girl is old and stubborn but hopefully this is an easy fix. Do I need to replace the motor?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I will probably start another topic soon with another issue I have. A new hobby and I love her but this will be alot of work for sure.

You need to check and make sure you're getting power down to the motor. Take door panel off and unplug the motor. You'll need a helper here to operate the window switch (key on) while you hold an ohm meter on the prongs in the plug. Check for voltage both up and down. If you have voltage you need a new motor.

You should have a two wire motor. One wire is for up and the other wire is for down. The car body or car door is the ground side for either up or down so you need to take a voltage measurement or use a test light between one wire and ground. Test both up and down. You may have a switch problem rather than a motor problem. It may not be a bad idea to lubricate the mechanism pivots and sliding parts while to door panel is off.

I was incorrect in my post above about the function of the two motor wires. Power is applied to both the motor wires. Polarity of the wires is reversed for up and down. Test both up and down by wiring power to the motor directly. You may have a switch problem rather than a motor problem. It may not be a bad idea to lubricate the mechanism pivots and sliding parts while to door panel is off.

Last edited:
Can the motor be removed without the whole mechanism, or does all have to come out together?
1969 4dr

Yes the motor can be removed by itself.

Thank you for the reply 74 Harley!
i removed the two bolts circled, but I’m obviously missing something.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

F16391E0-A93B-42A3-BCC2-3CDAD49593CC.jpeg

In your photo I believe the bolts you are chasing are below the circles in a v pattern. There should be 3 of them. It's a tight fit but you should be able to remove the motor and bring it out through the speaker hole.
The motor is bolted to the regulator,not the door. Good luck, keep us posted.

Job well done! Those motors interchange for many years across the entire Ford line. When hunting the wrecking yards remember the right and left are mirror copies of each other.

Back