1968 THUNDERBIRD LANDAU COUPE Install power door locks....

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Excaliburss

Excaliburss

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I like to install electric power door locks in my 68 two door as I do not have this option. Anybody in our forum has done this and could give me some advice before I start up ?
I know that this car had this option available when new, but then - back in time - it was done with vacuum motors. I like to go for electric motors with remote, maybe do the trunk lock at the same time.
Any advice is appreciated !
Thanks 009.JPG

I added a kit to my 70 Mark iii, even tho it had factory vac operated locks because I wanted the remote unlock feature. I bought a set similar to these listed on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/universal-power-lock-kit

Be sure you get a complete kit not just the actuators. Once you settle on a supplier contact them directly for info on the trunk release actuator.

The factory trunk latch on your bird will work whether you have the vac trunk release or not. The latch has a spring loaded lever that the trunk release attaches to. If you have the vac factory one installed, you can add the electric so both will function.

Thanks Russelbird! I already explained that my car has no central locking at all. I saw the lever in the trunk and I have an actuator for that purpose from another American car (puller).
I have bought a kit with central, remotes and actuators and I bench tested all - works god ! I only wonder if these motors are strong enough for my locking mechanics as the lock/open button need quiet some force. Probably I have to get some heavy duty motors to do the action easily. Well, I start with this within some days with the actuators in the kit and will see what they do.

Yes, I saw that you stated no factory locks in your original post. You mentioned you wanted advice, hence my post. Remember, free advice is usually worth what you pay for it.
You didn’t state in your first post that you had already purchased the electric kit nor pose the question of whether they would be strong/sturdy enough. If that’s what you wanted to know then that’s the question to ask.

Sorry, have a nice weekend !

Back