1968 front turn signal lens removal

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I looked everywhere YouTube & on Google but no info at all, I saw pic showing it has about 5 screw's holding the lens on the housing but only 2 screws are showing & u can barley get to them because there tucked up behind front bumper & rest of screw's nowhere to be seen if anyone knows please let me know thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since we are an all Ford Thunderbird site, you can omit the make & model of your car from the subject to shorten it.

Please use a brief title. I've revised your title "1968 Ford tbird 2dr how to remove front turn signal lens to replace bulbs' to shorten it.

Also a shop manual is a far better resource to have on hand than youtube- https://ebay.us/xEAnc2

should be a screw on the left and right side of the lens then it pops off

Hi thanks but I only see that on a '67, here's some pics last 2 pics I got from eBay showing the housing IMG_20220719_175645017~2.jpgIMG_20220719_175727513.jpgIMG_20220719_175631723.jpgIMG_20220719_181233777~3.jpgScreenshot_20220719-184112~2.pngScreenshot_20220719-184053~2.png

should be a screw on the left and right side of the lens then it pops off
Also there's no bent or damaged frame on car, both sides of the car left & right the lens are the same position

looks like there's 5 screws in all holding it. If you cant get to them you might have to remove the entire thing with the bracket pictured in the bottom picture. Sometimes you can pry the light around a bit to enough to get to the screws. Try pushing in on the bottom of it and see if can reach the other screws. Even if you have to bend that bracket back a bit it's screwed to. You can always bend it back into place. Just don't pry too much on the lens and crack or break it. Pry out just a little on that metal piece under the bumper just enough to get your screwdriver in there and remove them. If you can see the screws when you pry out the metal piece under the bumper drill a small hole right where the screws are and put your screwdriver in the holes. You can cover them back up with A little drop of clear silicone

Last edited:
looks like there's 5 screws in all holding it. If you cant get to them you might have to remove the entire thing with the bracket pictured in the bottom picture. Sometimes you can pry the light around a bit to enough to get to the screws. Try pushing in on the bottom of it and see if can reach the other screws. Even if you have to bend that bracket back a bit it's screwed to. You can always bend it back into place. Just don't pry too much on the lens and crack or break it. Pry out just a little on that metal piece under the bumper just enough to get your screwdriver in there and remove them. If you can see the screws when you pry out the metal piece under the bumper drill a small hole right where the screws are and put your screwdriver in the holes. You can cover them back up with A little drop of clear silicone
Yes I understand what ur saying but no way u can see any other screws at all lens are tucked tightly around frame, & no way u can pry that thick of metal which will definitely not bend any how & if I even tried it would definitely just bust my lens & that's all, back side of the housing the bulbs socket turns a little was hoping that it pops out but can not pull out, too little Of a hole anyways for the bulb to come out, there's usually only 2 screw's holding the lens on any car I ever had from new to old cars, but this has 5? Screws holding a little lens cover in place? never heard of this situation before, u telling me they made it this way so in order for u to simply replace a running light/turn Signal bulb u would have to jack up car, get under it, locate & remove the 2 huge bolts, disconnect the connectors wires, bring entire unit from the car, unscrew all 5 bolts, pop out old & pop in a new bulb & install in reverse order...... Really?

it's NOT welded or bolted to the bumper or metal piece under the bumper just the bracket on top of it. You should be able to just pry back a little bit to see the screws and get your screw driver in there. Pry it back without prying on the lens and put something in between the lens and the metal piece under the bumper so you can get your screw driver in there

Thanks but u don't understand u can not see any screws to far down in frame & u can barely get a very thin.small screw driver between the lens & thick metal frame & can't wedge anything else in there & either way that lens will crack with slightest pressure so it's definitely a no Go from the start

only other option is to break off the 2 bolts on the top bracket take it out and take off the lens. You know they're going to break off anyway when you're trying to remove them

Haven't got to the 2 bracket bolts yet but hopefully with lube spray they'll screw off smoothly I still wonder what is the correct proper way ford made it to be simple to change the turn signal bulb? It seems a secret nobody knows?

Back