1967 vents will not go to defrost

FishEpperson

FishEpperson

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My vents will not switch to defrost. I have checked the vacume lines, I am getting vacume to the control head. I can turn it on ac and the compressor kicks in but it will not go to defrost. I can manually move it and it works. Any ideas. Thanks

@FishEpperson
"1967 2 door" is not a summary of what your post is about. To keep our site successful and user-friendly, we require users to use a BRIEF subject that summarizes your post AND has the four-digit car model year(s).

I revised it.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Check your vacuum lines from the head to the actuator. You can test the actuator with a hand held pump.

My vents will not switch to defrost. I have checked the vacume lines, I am getting vacume to the control head. I can turn it on ac and the compressor kicks in but it will not go to defrost. I can manually move it and it works. Any ideas. Thanks
I suspect you will find this a common problem. The vacuum lines coming off the control head, as you have probably already noticed, are very small. Also, the control head itself tends to bleed vacuum as the sealing portion of it ages. Combine these two problems and you can see why it doesn't work like it should. Well, it may have worked just fine in 1967 but today it just won't cut the mustard! There just didn't seem to be any way I could get the control head to do it's job, so I ran some vacuum lines under the hood to bypass the control head. It may be a little inconvenient, but at least I can direct the air flow where I want it to go by switching the lines around.

Back