1966 Tbird Power window issue

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi guys,

I put in a new power window switch unit for my Tbird. Someone took out the original and Mickey moused in some funky after market one's.

The vent windows both work but the big windows don't go down . It sounds like a hear a "click/sound" when I try to put them down. Should I assume the motors are both bad or look for a connection/wire issue? Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

i would try running a hot wire t o the window plug .

here is a trick I learned from a old thunderbirder when my passenger window did'nt work:
start the engine, rev it up a bit and hold it there, put your finger on the window switch, open door,
then have someone slam the door shut and in that same moment you engage the window switch,
worked for me twice, good luck!

here is a trick I learned from a old thunderbirder when my passenger window did'nt work:
start the engine, rev it up a bit and hold it there, put your finger on the window switch, open door,
then have someone slam the door shut and in that same moment you engage the window switch,

I tried it and believe it or not it worked. It took 2 tries but it did indeed work hahaha. Thanks.

Hey, let’s start a discussion thread called “Tribal Knowledge” with the theme ‘I don’t know why this works, I just know that it does’:)

LOL THIS WORKS - my passenger window was stuck the other day when I was playing with fuses.

Hey, let’s start a discussion thread called “Tribal Knowledge” with the theme ‘I don’t know why this works, I just know that it does’:)

THIS!
Make it a sticky too!

Hi guys,

I put in a new power window switch unit for my Tbird. Someone took out the original and Mickey moused in some funky after market one's.

The vent windows both work but the big windows don't go down . It sounds like a hear a "click/sound" when I try to put them down. Should I assume the motors are both bad or look for a connection/wire issue? Thanks in advance.
I believe that the ground could be part of the problem. You can put all the voltage to the window, but if the ground is faulty, your window will be slow or not work.

i had the same problem with a 65. turned out the lower stop was wore out and when you bottom out the window it would a hair below where it should stop. slam the door with the switch in up position and it worked. i took the door panel off and and added a half inch of foam rubber weather strip to the top of the lower stop and cured the problem

ok both my passenger and drivers side did not work. I did this "trick" and it worked on both. That was 1.5 years ago and they still work.

i had the same problem with a 65. turned out the lower stop was wore out and when you bottom out the window it would a hair below where it should stop. slam the door with the switch in up position and it worked. i took the door panel off and and added a half inch of foam rubber weather strip to the top of the lower stop and cured the problem

I read something similar about them getting stuck in the up position though. Both of my windows are "stuck" up but slamming the door worked when I tried it on the driver side. I haven't tried it on the passenger side yet.

I'll look to see if the stops are causing the issue. My driver side worked for a week or so and got stuck again/stopped working. Thanks for the info.

the upper stops can be adjusted if that is the problem. i think all it takes is a fraction of an inch. also i have had to loosen the bolts that hold the window motor to the door to get window motor to work properly on a couple of these old birds

the upper stops can be adjusted if that is the problem. i think all it takes is a fraction of an inch. also i have had to loosen the bolts that hold the window motor to the door to get window motor to work properly on a couple of these old birds
Ok. I will get to the windows after I finish my current job on it. I'm gonna assume it's the upper stops since it gets stuck in the up position.

57tbird57 is likely onto the real cause, but not necessarily the final repair. It is common on power window motors for them to get a burned spot on the armature at the top or bottom position, likely due to someone's habit of holding the button up/down too long after cycle is completed. I had this problem on my '88 BMW M6 AND on the LR window on my '65 T-Bird convertible. Both were cured by removing the the window motor and cycling the motor past that traditional stopping point with a remote 12V battery, "burnishing" the location as it were. Both have worked great since this. Slamming the door could have a similar effect for door motors, but of course both of mine were rear windows!

I have a 1965 Landau edition Thunderbird and I am having power window problem and really do not know where to start. IIt seems like I qam getting zero power to the switches. I checked the fuse and it was fine. Where else to look

Back